A little brute force is always helpful

Charlie Conway's POV

Step one: be nice to Lyla Mitchell.

My enemy. A know-it-all Nuisance. Someone who is equivalent to nails on a chalkboard. Someone who I hate. Someone who I cant stop thinking about.

Oh boy.

After my little therapist appointment with a girl who is currently taping her eyes open to stay awake, I realized that what I'm planning to do tomorrow...

...really makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I mean, I honestly don't know why I care so suddenly about Lyla's feelings. It's like a little tug in my chest is directing me to her, and I'm trying desperately to pull back.

But, what I know right now is...

...the little tug in my chest is winning.

I was trying desperately to pay attention to miss Mackay's teaching, but the overwhelming feeling of sleep was to good to pass up. My elbow was supporting my head as my face dropped with fatigue, yawning every ten seconds.

The sound of a door swinging open made my head spin around along with everyone else's. Lyla walked in with weariness on her face and her shoulders slouched with stress. Her hair was like a rats nest and she wore her crinkled pjs to class, 43 minutes later. I couldn't help but check the time every 5 minutes, because Lyla was never late to class.

Oh god. I'm going crazy.

She plopped down in her seat, as miss Mackay wore a concerned but stern look.

"Good of you to join us, Lyla." She said calmly, referring to the girls terrible timing.

"Glad to be here." She said wearily, supporting her head with her arm. She seemed so exhausted, way more exhausted than any of us.

Miss Mackay only smiled and continued on her lecture about life through the renaissance period, which I was particularly not a fan of at all. I tried to drown out the murmurs and yawns, but ken's voice caught my attention.

"He made you do what?" He said with a shocked voice. I turned my attention to the boy, along with Fulton who was behind me, and noticed he was talking to Lyla and Adam.

"I know, right? I literally passed out, and he made me keep skating! He's gone mad. Absolutely crazy." She sighed.

"What did you do to piss him off so bad?" Fulton asked from behind me, also confused why our coach was acting so weird.

"I have no clue! It's like he's taking his anger out on me, for no reason!" She ranted, making sure to keep her voice down so miss Mackay doesn't get angry. As she complained, I pitied her. I felt bad that coach was taking all his anger out on her, and how she seemed so sad all the time. It made me feel even better about my idea for trying to make sure she's okay.

I suddenly remembered the suggestions that Connie advocated just this morning, and I knew I had to do something to get on her good side.

"You should take a rest. We'll vouch for you. I'll take notes for you, too." I say trying to muster the best sorta kind voice I could at the moment. My eyes were met with her green eyes, which were full of gratefulness. I could tell what I was doing was working, and I silently thanked Connie for her help.

"You'd do that?" She said in a surprised voice, making me feel a bit bad. How could it take me this long to even help her out a bit? She seemed to be even more skeptical at my sudden approach.

"Yeah, sure." I say nonchalantly, making me surprised at my sudden nice tone I didn't even have to act out. Just as she smiled at me and put her head down, two stern, cold grey eyes stared back at me from behind her with resent.