Chapter 13: Tournament Start!

After the small banquet that class A had, the rest of the night was quite restful. When the light of day gently touched the places and parts of the SMA, people from all over the place began to set up booths and stands, as the people working in the tournament arena, we making the final preparations. Within their waiting area, Thomas and his friends from Class A were all busy warming up before the start of the elimination round that would decide the 4 students from each class that would be participating. As he sat with his heart lock book in his hand, Edward and Percy came by, looking curious. 

"That the heart lock?"

"Yes," Thomas replied to Percy. "I'm just mesmerizing the first one I wrote in case if I need a bit of a small boost in battle."

Edward glanced carefully at the poem that Thomas wrote, widening his eyes upon realizing who it was about.

"Whoa! Is that of..."

"Yes." Thomas sharply replied. "Lady's the one closest to me, so it's only right that I make one of her first."

"I suppose that makes sense. Seeing she's your childhood friend and all."

"I-I guess," Thomas replied with a slight stutter. Percy was about to ask what the matter was until he remembered.

"Hey! Listen." He whispered. "Believe it or not, Lady does seem to like you too, Thomas. I sure you'll get her in the end."

Thomas nodded as footsteps then echoed throughout the halls. As the students looked towards the doorway, Mr.C entered.

"Greetings you lot." He spoke calmly. "I hope you're all ready and warmed up. The tournament is about to begin."

Everyone gave a nod as they grabbed the dulled steel swords that most tournaments used for everyone's safety. Upon stepping out and to the arena, many people, some being the parents of SMA Students cheered as all classes A-E stepped towards the center. Thomas and Lady glanced about, only spotting the Hughes and Stirlings within the crowd.

"Looks like they couldn't make it." Thomas sighed to his childhood friend. "Oh, well, they did say that they might not in the message that we sent to them."

"At least they replied with their best wishes," Lady replied back to Thomas. "Our parents may not be here, but they still are routing on for us."

Thomas cracked a smile at that as he and his class stepped towards their spot in the opening lineup. When they got there, Sir Hatt stepped onto the podium and began his opening remarks.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Families of SMA Students! Welcome to the annual Summer's end festival!"

The crowd cheered some as the school's head quieted them down a bit.

"This year has brought us quite a few impressional students from each class, and as of today, they will be showing off their skill and ability to you in this tournament that we have set up. The rounds are as follows. The elimination round is a timed contest of beast and monster hunting, within the stadium here. When the time is in, only the top four from each class would move on to the first initial round. From there, the 20 students who previously won, would go head to head in classic duels. Duelists are provided dulled swords to ensure that no one gets harmed, and any elemental magic that isn't a summoned sigil from your hands is prohibited to ensure fair grounds and fighting for everyone.  Now with that stuff out of the way, let us begin." He turned towards the sea of students. "Students! Draw your swords! Prepare your spells! Go!" 

The moment when the sand timer started, many beasts and monsters were Gold-Dusted in. Being the reactive and speedy types they were, Thomas and Lady had no problem racking up enough beasts to secure their spots. Henry, may not be as fast, but his strength made up for it, allowing him to take down multiple at a time. Gordon had more of the central point of strength and speed and was able to use both strategies easily. Other students from other classes found other fair ways that worked for them, while one particular one and his own batch of friends, deviously hid any unfair tricks well. The rushing about continued on for some, until, a loud horn was heard.