16

Sixteen

Mackenzie

"He's just so controlling," I ranted to Paisley as we sat at the front desk, though we weren't doing anything. We just signed people in and then they would give us a tip normally, which I didn't know why. Already I had made $100 in tips and I wasn't complaining.

"That's so annoying," she rolled her eyes.

"But she did get me a card to the nail salon, if you want to go,"

"Definitely," Paisley grinned. "We could go Friday, before your birthday,"

"Let's do it, I'll ask Macy as well," I nodded in agreement. We finished up our shift before being able to leave. Normally I would just go home, but I texted Calum asking if I could come visit him, which he agreed to. I drove and picked up chipotle for us before going up to his office where he was on break. "I brought lunch," I announced.

"Thanks," he grinned, grabbing his burrito as we sat down. We ate in silence until he broke that. "How are you doing?"

"Annoyed,"

"Your dad?"

"Mhm,"

"I know he's annoying, but he is just trying to do what he feels is best for you,"

"Well, he's wrong,"

"We're all aware, he is now too. Michael talked some sense into him,"

"I don't even want to get to know Sierra,"

"Because your dad is overbearing," he concluded and I nodded. "She really is nice, and you should get to know her on your own terms,"

"Maybe," I changed the topic, "Paisley, Macy, and I are getting our nails done Friday,"

"Have them over for a sleepover,"

"Alex will annoy us,"

"I'll make sure he won't," Calum chuckled. I nodded with a smile before taking a bite of my burrito. "Are you excited for your party?"

"Yeah, it'll be nice,"

"And Connor will be there," Calum sent me a wink, making my face turn red.

"Stop,"

"You're still wearing that necklace he got you,"

"Why are you so invested in my love life?"

"Because you're invested in all of ours,"

"I'm sixteen, I have an excuse. You don't,"

"Fair point,"

"Don't embarrass me in front of him again,"

"I won't, but when I start dating you can't embarrass me,"

"I won't,"

"Promise?"

"Promise,"