12

Twelve

Mackenzie

"This is so weird, you driving me," Connor laughed as I drove us to my house.

"It is," I giggled in agreement.

"What'd you score?"

"Perfect score,"

"Lucky, I got a 90," he huffed.

"Guess I'm smarter," I shrugged with a grin.

"Definitely are," he nodded in agreement. When we got to my house, I pulled into the driveway, frowning at the unknown car that was parked.
"Who's over?" I mumbled.

"No idea," he shrugged as I parked and turned off the car. "Before we go in, I have something for you," he dug into his pocket, pulling out a small brown box.

"You didn't have to get me anything," I said as he handed it to me.

"Of course I did," he argued. I opened the box to see a necklace with pearls and small gold heart beads in between them.

"Connor, it's beautiful," I gasped, quickly taking it out of the box. "Thank you,"

"You like it?"

"I love it," I leaned over and pecked his lips with a smile. "It's perfect,"

"Like you,"

"Definitely not," I chuckled as I put on the necklace. The two of us got out of the car and went inside.

"Hey, you're back," Ashton smiled as we came in.

"Yeah, who's here?" I questioned as I put my lanyard with my keys on the island.

"Sierra," he answered, making my eyebrows furrow.

"Sierra?" I questioned. "Why?"

"Kenz," he started to warn me, but was cut off with Alex running in giggling.

"Sissy's back," he cheered. I picked him up and spun him around, which made him laugh more.

"Cheater," dad panted as he came in out of breath, followed by a woman who I had never seen.

"He's just fast," she told dad with a smile.

"Kenzie, this is Sierra," he introduced me as he put an arm around her.

"It's so nice to meet you, Kenzie, your dad has told me a lot about you,"

"Nice to meet you too," I mumbled, quickly looking at Ashton, "can we have pizza?"

"I'll order it," Ashton nodded.

"You must be Connor," dad held his hand out, shaking Connor's hand.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Hemmings," Connor greeted.

"Call me Luke, Mister is too formal," dad told him and he nodded, letting go of the handshake.

"Want to go outside?" I asked Connor, putting Alex down.

"Yeah, sure," he agreed. We both went outside and over to the pool, sitting at the edge with my feet in.

"What did my dad bring her?" I mumbled.

"He probably thought with a lot of people it'd ease the tension,"

"I don't like her," I rolled my eyes, leaning back on my hands. "I want her gone,"

"Give her a chance," Connor said, placing his hand on mine. "You don't have to be completely ok with her around, or even consider her a mother, but your dad seems to like her, and it might be nice having another girl around,"

"You sound like the guys," I huffed.

"They're not completely wrong," he defended them. "Nosey? Yes," that comment made me chuckle. "But you might like having her around. Today, just hang out with me though. Still have your space, but get used to her presence at least,"

"You better not leave my side," I looked him in the eyes.

"Never,"