Chapter 6: visiting Auntie

Innsen's assessment of my aunt's health was way off the mark. Sure, she wasn't in good shape, and she had some really bad days, but she lasted another five years.

A lot happened in those five years . . . believe me, a lot.

I started visiting Aunt Hilda once a month. Eventually she met all my family, but it was usually just me visiting. I went by bus and taxi, all paid for by my Aunt.

When I turned seventeen and quickly got my driver's licence, Aunt Hilda bought me a brand new mid-sized Audi - "to make it easier for you to visit me, and you can take me for drives".

I loved my new car and began to visit Auntie more often and, of course, take her for drives. My visits were usually overnight - Friday or Saturday.

I was enjoying my Aunt's company; I found her a very interesting person - she had led quite a different life to most people. Although she had never married, or even had a long term partner, she didn't dislike men, she just wanted to see a greater equality between the sexes, particularly in the world of business.

She was also teaching me about the property market.

And what was I doing in the rest of my life? Frankly, I was having a ripper time, provided I didn't stop and think.

My girlfriends and I were having great fun. Once I got my car and was driving myself to school, I could hang out with them after school and see them on the weekends. They were terrific girls and we all got on really well together.

I had now been Sheri for over twelve months and I had developed a modest-sized bust (that did cause me some concerns, but damnit, I liked it)  I'd been on a few more dates with boys, but all tame stuff.