Showtime

So there we are Me, Elmer, Crutchie, Specs, Race and Jack. We are sitting in a fancy box seats watching Ms. Medda sing. Never did I think, living the life I am I would ever be able to see a show. Irving Hall is like a Newsie Haven.

I stand up and clap my heart out when ever she finishes a song. I get glares from the guys, but I don't care. I would never be able to sing like that in a million years.

When the show is over us newsies storm the stage and hug Medda. "Well I'm glad you kids liked it." She said while laughing. "Are yA Kidding it was fantastic!" Race said. This is why people think he has a crush on Medda.

Just then We all hear a "Swell job, Ms. Larkson." come from behind us. And there standing at the foot of the stage is Oscar and Morris Delancey. My heart stops. There are less newsies than when I snapped at them earlier today. They probably came to beat me up. "What do you want?!?!" Jack said as he hopped down from the stage and into their faces.

"Can't a fella see a show!" Morris said, but you can tell that he is lying. He look at Oscar and then at me. Oscar winks at me. Elmer sees it and climes in. "Hey if you came for Stray! You know she wouldn't be caught with a scab like you!"

"Let the girl speak!" Oscar shouts. Medda grabs me by my shoulders and pulls me away from the trouble. I stutter around with my feet. Specs and Race huddle around me protecting me from the Delanceys . But I see them, "She insulted me!" I hear Oscar shout to Morris. "That Stray is going to get all of you hurt with that mouth of hers." Morris added.

"You're just scared because she speaks the truth!!" Crutchie yells at them. Next thing I know, Oscar takes Crutchie's crutch and kick him to the ground. I run to him helping him up. He nods to me mouthing 'thanks'. I stare draggers into Oscar and Morris. "Watch ya back!" Is the last thing I hear from them. Oscar throws Crutchie's crutch to jack and they leave us in peace. (Well I wouldn't say peace, but they left us.)

"Guys what do I do?" I ask them. They all have their heads down. Medda puts her hands on my shoulders. "You can stay here in the theater. If you want so they can't get you?" She suggested. Jack comes over to us. "That's a good idea. Don't want dem sneaking up on you."

"Jack.." I plead. But before I can finish Specs interrupt. "Stray. Just do this. For one night. The Delanceys could soak you in the middle of the night. It's safer here." He says

"Fine.....But I won't like it." I sigh.

"Medda look after her." Jacks says. They leave through the backstage door. Medda says. "They care about you. You know that?"

"Yeah...You don't expect me to actually stay here do you?" I beg towards her.

"Are you kidding? No. Why limit you to stay here? Now you can stay if you want but no one is forcing you too." Medda stays. That was a surprising answer, but I'd liked it. I run up and hug her. "Thank you!"

"Now be careful kid. And don't let them know that you left." I hear her calling as I rush out the door.

Now what to do?