CHAPTER ONE. / A Whirlwind of Pink

CHAPTER ONE.

A Whirlwind of Pink |  KAZUMI HINODE

"Imagine a place where all the noises of the world are muted. The only sounds are the tick of your heart, the hum of your thoughts and the flow of your pen against parchment. Your soul could either be at peace or at the brink of destruction. Worlds emerge from your fingertips, word by word. Characters rise from ink and grow into flames who eventually burn their worlds into–"

Kazumi Hinode gently tapped her pen against the parchment, as she contemplated the next words to scratch down onto the pages. Although they were in their quiet corner where their thoughts turned into reality on the page; she felt herself constantly hitting roadblocks in her story that couldn't be smoothed over. Her eyes trailed down the paper and caught the many scribbles of blue ink that they had made to cross out all errors, leaving a sheet filled with ink spots.

Dammit, why can't I write today? Writer's block is being a bitch again. Kazumi cussed in her head, as their fingers rolled their ash grey pen round and round in frustration. There's just this heavy feeling in my chest...

Giving herself a little shake, Kazumi redirected her eyes towards the window, hoping to gain more inspiration. Outside, the birds were bouncing a melody back and forth, entangling more and more notes into their symphony of stars. A few leaves, the rusty orange colour of Autumn, danced down the trees. Led innocently by the wind, they would meet their end as soon as they hit the ground; to be trampled, or to wither, then ultimately die.

People walked to and fro across the streets in Inazuma City. Chattering about, they traded the meaningless details of their lives and went about doing the menial tasks they were forced to do by the law, their family, or their morales. Behind them lay the backdrop of many simple houses amidst towering mansions; all which housed the many citizens of Inazuma. Cherry blossom trees were scattered around Inazuma, dotting the mainly purple landscape with shades of pretty pink.

Kazumi could distantly see the towering statue of the current Archon of Inazuma - Raiden Shogun, known as Ei to her close ones. Known to be as swift as lightning, and just as harsh, the cold edges of the statue accurately portrayed the Shogun's figure.

Kazumi could barely make out the tiny specks of colour lined on the grey stone, but she knew they were Visions. Visions that Raiden Shogun had stripped away from the prisoners she had captured, therefore taking away their ambitions, hopes, and dreams, turning them into an empty shell of a person, no longer housing a soul.

The war between Raiden Shogun and her exiled cousin Sangonomiya Kokomi had lasted for nearly three years. After the last Archon, Raiden Makoto, had died, Sangonomiya had succeeded to the throne, winning the hearts of the courtiers with her pretty little smile and innocent frocks.

But the Shogun was not satisfied, as she was certain that Sangonomiya would be a foolish and weak Archon. Therefore, before Sangonomiya's official crowning could be held, the Shogun had challenged her to the throne.