I placed both in my pocket and went to cover the secret spot as I replaced the floorboard and threw the rug over top of it. Standing, I made my way out of the lodge quickly feeling as if I needed to get some distance from it before anyone returned. So I made my way from the lodge, both pieces of paper weighing heavy in my pocket. Once I got the much-needed distance and settled somewhere safe I'll see what they held.

... ... ... ...

I sat against the side of a building, the letter addressed to my brother in my hands. My sister's handwriting looked messier than it normally would have to let me know she'd probably written this in a rush. There were some smudges, but not to the extent that the words written were illegible. So I took in a shaky breath and began to read it with furrowed brows. 

Dear Edric,

If you are reading this, then I hope that means you and Amity made it here safely. I know that this looks bad, but we were found by the group that has been searching for dad. He knows something that they don't and they want him to work for them. It has something to do with his job at the lab though he wouldn't go into detail about it.

These people, this group, had been sent to search for both us and you as well. They want to use us as leverage against dad to get him to do what they want. I've marked a place on the map for you. Dad and I are headed there now in hopes to finish what we started. I know this doesn't make sense but I promise I'll explain everything once you get here.

I need you to do me a favor Edric. I need you to get Amity here safely if you can. Please don't tell Amity about this. I don't want her to be scared. What's happening with dad and this group is bigger than all of us.

So please, just get here safe and we can catch up on lost time. I miss you guys so much. I love you. Tell mittens I said hello, will you?

See you soon,

Emira

This letter had been meant for Edric yet I was the one who'd been reading it instead. She's still trying to protect me even with the end of the world. I had to hold back tears at reading this. I unfolded the other piece of paper to see it had been a map with a spot specifically marked off on it. This was where they had been headed and Edric wasn't with them. Edric never made it.

But I did and I will find them. My dad and Emira were the only ones I knew I had left. And now I was in a town that I'd found familiar. I'd seen this before when my family and I passed through here on the way to our lodge.

Since leaving Luz and changing things up I had only sped up the process of traveling. That's how I had managed to get so close, almost too close to truly believe it. Then I found the lodge and now I found the letter. Setting off on the same journey with a different destination but the same end goal. To find my family.

Looking around the surrounding town I took in its familiarity and felt myself become the calmest I had been in a while. Even with this new situation, I had been placed under I felt calm in knowing that my dad and Emira were still alive. Suddenly, I heard a flock of birds taking off into the sky. My eyes fell upon their quick accent and their even quicker retreat. I turned toward the right where they had come from. Knowing that something was wrong but not exactly knowing what that was. All I could guess was that nature usually knew things before anyone or anything else.

Turning to face where they retreated from I looked around as the surrounding area became eerily quiet. Nerves settled within my stomach as I took slow steps back trying to scope out what could be causing this feeling, these birds, and the lack of natural sounds within nature. Then suddenly, I saw it, smoke drifting up into the air. Though it didn't make sense.