Chapter 32

Willow awoke on her old bed in her father's home, in the room she had slept in as a child. It had been a day since s She had returned from the "trip". She had once again passed out on the way home from Hieroland and believed Wes had carried her. She had to make up more lies when her father questioned her about her reappearance, such as how she had finished her project early and could spend the weekend at home.

After her mid-day nap, she yawned and stretched before noticing the evening sun was low in the sky. On her nightstand was a note from Wes.

"I am going back to the city. Rest assured, you will see me again."

She scoffed. Her mind had been racing with numerous thoughts for hours, and a headache had been developing now. She remained in bed until her father checked on her and was shocked to see that his daughter had a fever. He made soup for her and after making sure that she drank it in its entirety, he gave her the medicine. After that, she dozed off and awoke at midnight. She no longer had a headache and her fever had subsided. But her mind was still racing with the thoughts she had before.

It was best for her to put it in writing. She saw the rose-colored glasses at her desk and stashed them in the top drawer.

She opened the final drawer, pulled out her old journal, and began to write.

'No, I don't know or am even certain of what is happening. I am not sure. All of my efforts might turn out to be utterly useless. I keep getting the sinking feeling that something will go wrong. Wes might turn on me and violate our agreement. What's to say that he wouldn't be tempted to keep all the herbs for himself? And I can't compete with him. If we got into a fight, I cannot win... I should stop right now.

I should focus on school, grades, and a job perhaps. I could find a better doctor for Dad. If I gave up, Dad would forgive me, right? Who am I kidding? He doesn't even know that I'm doing this.

So I could do nothing, give up... and nobody would know.'

There was a knock at her door.

Willow closed the journal when her father walked in.

"How are you feeling now?" he asked.

"Much better," she said. "It's almost midnight, Dad."

"I have to be at work early tomorrow and I wanted to see you one more time before you leave."

Before Willow could tell him how grateful she was to have him as a father, Robert stepped further into the room to reveal a bag that he was holding. Willow hadn't noticed it until now.

"I...um...I got you something," he said.

She turned around in her chair to look at him.

"What is it?"

He reached inside the gift bag in his hand and took a brown wallet out. It was a regular wallet, nothing fancy. That's what she thought until she saw her name engraved in the corner.

"My coworker and I," he began, "we were out for lunch and ended up in this shop. She purchased a handbag for herself and I wanted to get something for you. I believed a wallet would be more appropriate given your dislike of carrying things."

He handed it to her. When she opened it, she found several pockets and compartments for her essentials and felt the faux leather with her fingers along with the engraved name.

"I love it, Dad. Thank you," she expressed. "I love it so much."

"I'll let you get back to your... journal," he looked at the closed blue-colored diary.

"Wait," Willow called out. "Was this lunch by any chance...a...date?"

Her father stood near the door, mouth agape.