Chapter 34: Presented

Joella

Dinner was...well interesting. The Bravata family was cold and the intense gaze I kept receiving from Maxim was unsettling. Haden's hand tightened on my thigh slightly, letting me know he was seeing what I was.

My leg shook impatiently as you could cut the tension in the room with a knife. It felt like all hell was going to break loose at any second. Nonna kept everyone at bay for the most part. As I listened to the conversation that was taking place, I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. 

They bickered back and forth when Nick suddenly stood to his feet, I thought he was going to punch the guy but he walked right past him. Leon tried to stop him but all that did was cause Nick to go on a rant and stomp out of the dining hall after Nonna began to speak.

Morgan nudged my shoulder and I turned my attention to her wide-eyed expression. "Girl, what the hell are we listening to right now?" She whispered in my ear. 

I shook my head with a shrug as my eyes slid across the room. Everyone was tense and holding back. I turned to Haden and mentally rolled my eyes at the slight amusement that hid behind his eyes. My man could be so petty at times.

My jaw almost fell to the floor when it was revealed that Levi, Maxim's uncle was the one who killed Mia's mom, it was the Bratva who had her parents killed. 

My eyes scanned the room as they landed on Mia. She looked distant as if this conversation wasn't about her. She was zoned out. 

I guess I would be too if I was sitting in a room with the family that killed my parents. The fact that Levi showed no remorse is what got me. He went as far as to even say he owned Mia's mom, all because her grandfather had promised her to him.

"You are out of your fucking mind," Haden muttered as he shook his head. 

Levi's wife sat with a blank face. I wondered how she truly felt but her expression gave nothing away at the moment. Cutting my eyes at Maxim as he continued to bring his gaze back to me, I leaned over to Haden's ear. 

"Haden, what is going on?" I whispered. 

His hand intertwined with mine. 

"I told you the Russians were crazy." He stated.

Raul looked ready to kill but Levi's next words made my stomach drop.

"Though you are too young for me, you are perfect for my youngest son, Dylan."

Mia's body tensed as Morgan wouldn't stop nudging her leg into mine. The atmosphere in the room darkened and I quickly turned to Haden.

"Her grandpa is seriously trying to give her to this family? That's sick." I stated. 

Haden looked around the room before licking his lips and turning his gaze to me. With a shrug of his shoulders, he answered low. "It wouldn't be the first time." 

"What?" I questioned in disbelief. Haden leaned over, his eyes locking on mine.

"Women being given to other families in times of turmoil is not uncommon. It can build alliances."

"And the women? What choice do they have?" I asked.

"None." Haden simply stated and leaned back straight.

My mouth hung open slightly as I stared at the side of his face.

"Excuse me?" I wasn't sure I heard that right.

"Kaleb is not about to let that happen," Haden said and I visibly released my breath.

Haden smirked at me with a shake of his head.