five

This semester was a big deal for probably half the students here. The other half we're waiting for basketball scrimmage and baseball in the spring. Now the main focus was football and Brett couldn't get anymore annoying about it. He knew all who he was going to practice with after school and even encouraged everyone he knew to go to the field whenever they could.

"The more hype the more success. Loya supported me at every practice and she's like the best luck charm. There are probably ten other loya's that will give me even more of a boost." He looked at me and slapped my shoulder as an idea popped in his head. "You're probably one of them!"

Logan snorted after taking a look at my confused face. "I'm not. Trust me. Last practice I went to caused my brother to almost snap his fucking legs off."

"You said he'd be better by November," Brett reminded.

"Yeah but he's out for cross country and any games played this season. Is it really worth me going to your practice?" Logan and Brett looked at each other before coming to a decision.

I eventually joined in on their telepathy and we all came to a mutual agreement. "I guess you shouldn't come for me, but I still haven't given up on my quest to get you over that Alyssa girl. If Paris isn't your type then maybe one of the girls in the programming club can help you out. I got an email from one of the hot ones telling me to go to their meeting today."

"We all got that," Logan clarified.

"I don't not like Paris. She's just really busy and you can see it in her schedule. Being president of the seniors is hectic since most of us have no idea about life outside of high school."

Brett tapped his chin as we all came to a stop in front of Logan's locker. "We were actually in elementary longer and the transition to middle school was a breeze."

"Well we only had one option and that was middle school." I agreed with Logan with one nod of the head. "Now we have a million. College? No college? Dead end job? Sell on the black market to keep it exciting? None of us really know."

Brett raised his eyebrows then snapped back to his relaxed face. "I'm just saying she can't be too busy for a guy like you to step through. Don't go to football practice for me but for her. She has to support mostly all the sports and going to the first practice is like crucial."

"You're playing match maker again," I warned.

"And I'm fucking good at it, dude." With a smug smile to end the conversation, we did our three way handshake and split ways to our first period classrooms.

Mr. Roe looked at me confused as I tried to stall time for Logan to arrive. "If you want the best report out there then I suggest doing research on how biographies are written and start from there. It's basically what I'm asking for but in a three page essay."

I scratched my head while looking over the syllabus a few more times. "We have four more after this?"

"Welcome to AP English literature."

A small knock on the classroom door brought my eyes to land on Paris. When I looked at Mr. Roe, he had a wide smile on his face. "Coming to turn in my summer report a day early. I won't be here tomorrow due to midday sport practices. I'll be out all day actually."

"What are you doing after school?" I asked as smoothly as possible while they exchanged her essay.

"I- uh..." She looked back and forth between Mr. Roe and I. "Nothing really. Why?"

Now that I was standing in front of my teacher trying to ask a girl out, I started to realize how awkward this was. I also knew how bad of a problem I had with asking out girls who I wasn't friends with first at least.

Paris didn't know me and I didn't know her yet here I was taking her away from the fact that she has things to do and this was just supposed to be a quick stop.

"I- I don't know. Just wondering." I then picked my bag up from leaning on his desk leg and grabbed my syllabus from the corner of the desk. "Well, thanks Mr. Roe."

In came scrambling Logan the last minute with his paperwork in his hand so tight I thought it would rip. "Its one minute before five so I am not late!"

"Thank God this is your last summer assignment... I hope," he muttered the last part before taking the essay into his hands. "You kids get out of my class and go home. It's after school now. Why do you all love school so much!"

"It's our ticket to higher education. Have you not been to a college party, Gerald?" Mr. Roe gave Logan a simple stare. I'm surprised he didn't react by being called by his first name. "Never mind. Come on, Ryan. I appreciate your service."

Paris walked out of the class before us and kept a steady pace down the hall. I wanted to try to shoot one more shot but now I had Logan on my wrist. Although he was obnoxious he was also an amazing wingman.

"Why do you stare? What would Brett do?"

"I honestly don't know why I'm trying. The girl is a fucking genius. I'm an idiot compared to everyone in the school. Her standards are probably like roof high and I can't even touch the tip."

Logan brushed his hand at me. "You're speaking stupid. The guy with a 3.9 GPA is not standing before me saying he is dumb. I know that's not what I'm hearing." I nodded because that's exactly what he's hearing. "Just because you're not in fifteen activities and taking all the most hardest classes does not make you stupid. You and her are in the same bracket. She just carries herself better."

I gave him one last look before jogging down the hall to catch up with the girl who was two feet from leaving the school. She was startled when I grabbed her upper arm to signal her to slow down. "I'm sorry... but I wanted to ask you out. We're not doing anything but going home anyway."

"I kind of figured that. Standing next to Mr. Roe threw me off a bit." I chuckled knowing that we had the same embarrassed feeling. "But I would enjoy an outing with you. It'd have to be after six though."

"Whenever! Shall we exchange numbers?" She smiled while holding out her empty hand and the hand with her phone in it.