Chapter 25

Jan 1540
We were back in London, and listening to the King receive the new people at court.
"George and Catherine Howard." Was said. I noticed Henry's eye rested especially on Catherine, and he licked his lips.
"Oh god." Charles muttered in my ear, clearly having noticed too. I remembered the disgust on Henry's face when he met the Cleves girl. She wouldn't last long.
Thankfully, I was pregnant again. I knew that Charles would most likely beat me to death if I didn't give him a son. I was three months pregnant, so the baby was due in July.
6 months later.
The King was divorcing Anne of Cleves to marry Catherine Howard. My husband told me this, and my water immediately broke. I lay, screaming, for hours, before I delivered. I felt the urge to push again, and was told to do so by the bemused midwife. Another baby slid out of my body. Twins!
"Well? What are they?"
"A boy, your eldest, and then a girl, your youngest. Both healthy." I meant back, relieved. Charles had a son. He burst in.
"A son! Thank you, my darling." He exclaimed, viewing our boy.
"And a daughter."
"Yes yes. But look at my son. He's handsome like his father, doesn't look like a slut like his mother." I shrank away from him in the bed, as he struck me, wondering what I'd done wrong.
MarjorieTrevejo