Chapter 36 - Dark turn

Start from the beginning

"Did you sleep well?" I asked in a soft tone even if I already knew the answer to it.

I grabbed her wrist and led her over to the dresser so I could brush her hair. My stomach twisted in knots at the sight of her bare scalp at some areas of her head. It wasn't visible unless you took a closer look at it. Her hair was falling out. Some strands of her black hair clung to the teeth of the comb as I brushed through the tangled mess.

"Not really," She mumbled and nibbled on her lower lip. Her face broke into a wide grin and her eyes lit up, "I had a dream that I met my little siblings."

I was taken aback by her words. I masked it off with a small smile and returned my attention back to her hair, pulling them into two French braids.

"Really?" I asked, urging her to go on.

She nodded her head enthusiastically and said, "It's going to be a boy and a girl. They told me not to worry too much about my illness. Dead or not, I'll always be their big sister. So don't feel sad, mommy. I'll be here."

Layla placed her small hand over my beating heart and smiled. Tears formed in my eyes. I blinked my eyelids rapidly to prevent them from falling. Blade and I haven't found the time to go to the hospital and know the gender of the twins. We already have a lot of problems to deal with. I was shocked that she knew but I chose not to believe it. It could be two boys and it could be two girls.

"I know that baby. I just feel sad because I won't have the opportunity to hug you and kiss your cheeks like this." I attacked her face with kisses and pulled her into my arms. I let a single tear rolled down my cheek. It landed on the top of her head. Layla is gonna be dead soon. It's painful to think about.

Layla giggled, her hands fisting my shirt as I rubbed her back soothingly. "I love you, mommy."

"I love you too, sweetheart." I planted a kiss on her forehead and pulled away, "Let's get you into a winter outfit. That dress simply won't do in a weather like this. You're gonna freeze. Besides, your aunt Cami is really excited to take you to the amusement park."

Just as I'm about to walk over to her closet, my phone dinged with a text. My eyebrows scrunched together in confusion as I took out my phone and turned it on.

Armando: Let's meet up. Text me the exact location and I would be there in the next fifteen minutes.

━━━━━

I had already arrived at McDonald's and was seated at the booth by the window so I could gaze out at the busy streets of New York City blanketed in snow. The restaurant was bustling with crowds and almost all the tables and booths were occupied.

This place was really popular. That's the main reason I chose it for my meeting with Armando Mancini. I wanted us to talk publicly just in case he wanted to try something shady.

I sipped my unsweetened iced tea and waited patiently for Armando. He was twenty minutes later. Time wasn't on my side right now. I had to lie to Blade on where I was going. I didn't want him to worry about me when he had a lot on his plate.

This was a stupid decision but I didn't have a choice. I needed answers.

The doors swiftly opened and Armando walked in dressed in a fancy blue tuxedo with shoes to match. He checked his phone and scanned the restaurant until his surprisingly mesmerizing blue eyes met mine.

Armando muttered something ill under his breath based on the tightening of his jaw and made his way over to me. When he got seated across from me, he only ordered water and drummed his fingers impatiently on the table.