We shared a laugh as she threw a weak punch at my arm, which I effortlessly deflected. Asteria pushed our identical midnight hair back behind her shoulder before she said, "I gained some news today. News you'll no doubt be interested in." I turned to catch her gaze and raised an eyebrow. When she didn't comment, I asked her with sarcasm dripping from my tone, "I'm on the edge of my seat, dear sister. Oh, please enlighten me on what you uncovered."

    Asteria shook her head and waved a hand towards all of me, saying, "Cauldron, I wish I could turn that off. You'd probably attract a considerably higher amount of ladies if you shut up every once in a while." For a brief moment, I considered tossing Asteria over the balcony but decided the drop to the sea would hurt too much. Instead, I gave her a charming smile and said, "I've never had trouble before, Asteria. I don't think I will now." Asteria nodded as if she figured I'd say that because she retaliated with, "Good because if you want to win over Keres, you'll need it."    

    I felt my nose scrunch in confusion, but before I could question her, Asteria saved me the breath and said, "Keres has been ordered to search and obtain a marriage. Preferably to a High Lord's son, to help secure favor for her brother." I don't think I heard her continue to speak, but if she did, I wouldn't have heard her over the sudden roar in my ears. It sounded like when the sea crashed into stone, and I'd forgotten I was holding onto the railing for a moment. I released the metal barrier when I felt the railing crush in my grasp. I probably would have torn clear through the fence without the little self-control I had left warning me not to.

    My instincts wanted me to go to Keres to guard her against other heirs and present an offer of marriage. But I'm pretty sure that would end with me being stabbed or thought of as insane. I felt Asteria's worry wash over me mentally, and I let out a sigh as I released the little support I had in the form of the metal railing I was holding on like an anchor. I turned towards my sister before meeting my periwinkle blue gaze with her amethyst. I was gauging if she was serious or just testing my reaction. But when I found no deceiving expression in her facade, I knew she wasn't lying. Asteria, for once, seemed a bit hesitant of me.

    She was remarkably calm, considering how I felt any more information could set me off, and she knew it. She answered me with the tone she reserved for planning through attacks. I realized this was a strategy for her as she tried to communicate what she learned without my instincts taking control. So Asteria calmly stated, "Brother, I know you feel the mate bond and some of the emotions that go with that, including the protectiveness. But considering that you look on the verge of either reverting back to a primordial state to steal away Keres by crushing any rival suitors in the process, I'm going to tell you to calm down before you expose yourself."    

     I gave her a deep snarl, and the pointed canines came fully into view as I said, "Will you just hurry up and tell me what I need to know." Asteria bobbed her head as I leaned back to rest against the wall while facing her. I felt the darkness over my face as my power leached out to create an endless night surrounding me. It felt good to let my energy go a little, but I had to keep it in check so my fury wouldn't cause me to go out of control. Asteria gave me a warning look but didn't say anything about it as she started to say, "To not bore you with the details, Keres is basically being forced into this. Her family thinks it's the right thing to do, to bolster an alliance for her brother."

    I snorted and said, "Like that would happen. Unless a treaty is signed as some sort of dowery or payment, I doubt it would work the way they intend." Asteria didn't look so convinced, and she contradicted me by saying, "I would disagree, the arrangement could create lasting peace. You know how protective and controlling male fae can be. Especially male fae who think they are superior and deserve the best. Keres would be a prize, one which could prove them as an heir that looks for alliances and peace for their Court. It will prove a worthy challenge once they figure it out, and you know how they love a challenge."