Gala

Nyx's point of view:

     The evening following the meeting with the heirs was uneventful. Sure there were a few disagreements between High Lords and some healthy teasing from each other, but nothing noteworthy. Keres somehow slipped away and avoided attending dinner even after escorting us to the dining hall. The elegant ivory and gold table had been full of food, yet she was the only one I noticed to be absent.

     Though it upset me not to see her, I tried not to dwell that night. Though it would prove fruitless, my evening of sleep was restless, and eventually, I went flying up the coast at dawn. I knew that as the sun rose the next day, my various family members were sure to do morning training before sharing the information from the previous day.

    When I landed on the balcony of our apartments, I was thinking of how the day would proceed. I was intrigued by the idea of seeing Keres, and my chest warmed with a sense of gleeful anticipation. Witnessing how she acted as a princess and not a general amongst the various High Lord's families was interesting despite my little interaction with her. Compared to how I'd seen Keres in our prior, I wanted to know what she thought about when putting on that mask. Was her general attitude the mask or the princess?

    Despite what I assumed was her typical attitude, Keres remained on her best behavior around the future High Lords. If I was to guess, Keres's neutrality was probably for her shrimp of a brother and not because she wanted to. I saw how she desperately wanted to remove Asher's head from his shoulders when he insulted her. Honestly, his disrespect made me want to clobber him. But Keres kept the peace, and what would have only been a verbal removal never happened as she held her tongue.

    I was leaning against the railing on the porch of our apartment when I shook myself from my thoughts. I could sense my family awakening slowly inside. I heard Nesta snapping at my father about something, which caused a growl to echo from the Illyrian inside. I smiled as I listened to their bickering. Listening to our parents, I knew where my friends and I got our argumentive natures. I didn't bother going inside and instead continued to watch the waves. My family was supposed to have a quick conversation before the events tonight. The conversation wasn't supposed to be anything interesting, just a sharing of information. But I was stalling the conversation as I wanted to see the waves and have the chance to sun my wings before hiding them again.

    I heard the door open and close again before I turned my head. Asteria joined me in, leaning against the railing as well. I hadn't seen her for most of the previous day, but I was dubious that she had learned much. She supposedly was in the library for most of the day. Asteria had changed into an iris-colored silk outfit, probably for the heat, but her mind was calling me despite her neutral expression. Her emotions were rampant with uncertainty. I nudged her lightly with the tip of my wing. She stumbled, and her eyes widened and blinked as she focused. It seemed that she didn't expect me to interfere with her thinking.

    I laughed as I said, "That's one for the books. Rarely in the past centuries have I been able to surprise you. Even with presents, you're rarely ever shocked." Asteria rolled her violet eyes as she said, "You guys were never good at keeping secrets. It's like a fun puzzle, trying to figure out everything beforehand. The irritation from you guys is just an added bonus." I shook my head in disbelief before I asked, "Why have you ambushed me in my alone time? I assume to tell me something without the other's hearing."

    Asteria nodded, and while her face was the picture of composure, her emotions were basically yelling at me. I winced as her inner voice echoed in my mind before I said, "Now, dear sister, you can play off your emotions as neutral to our parents, but you know with me, I can sense it." Asteria glared at me and said, "Only because you snoop more with your daemati." I smirked and said, "admit it, my abilities far outway yours in regards to daemati." Asteria only glared and didn't deny it before she said, "Even if I did deny it, you wouldn't believe me anyway. Your arrogant ass wouldn't let you." I gave a mocking gasp and brought my wing to my chest as if wounded by her comment, but she only rolled her eyes at my dramatics.