My Peerless Empress

"Ruben!"

Ruben turns around and sees the knight on the horse holding a torch.

His heart skips a beat.
Bites his lower lip and runs to him.

.
.
.

'Do not slow down Ruben. Run.'

That's the last he heard from his cold mother.

"Ha..Haha.." Tears falling down his eyes.
He was the Duke's only son.
He ignores everyone's ridicule that his mother is nothing but a cold selfish princess of a different Kingdom.
He, too, has a prejudice against her and they both live separately.
This is until he was 16 and his Duke father brought in a woman from the slum. Not only is she his lover but also brought a son that is older than him.

He thought his life was smooth sailing but in truth the Duke is saving the Dukedom for his first born son.
Slowly, eaten by jealousy, he starts ruining his life with drinking and playing around.
His friends use his name to do bad things and his reputation detroit.

"Stop this craziness!"

"Mother."

He looks at the woman poised and beautiful despite her age.

"What is wrong with you? You're throwing everything you work hard to the drain."

He flinched and angrily looked away.

"What is the use? Dad is doing his best to make sure Adlan will inherit the title. He...He never considered me." Anger swallowed him.
Betrayal for his love. He thought his father never paid attention to him because he was busy but everytime Adlan opens his mouth it's all about the Duke doing everything for him.
"Why did you even marry dad? He uses your marriage to get close to the King. He uses you to get close to the nobles of your Kingdom. What about you? What did you get?"

She sat down and hugged him.
"I got you. My precious son."

Ruben's heart aches for his mother for the first time of his life.
He turns a blind eye to how the Duke is treating her. He thought if he sides with his dad, he will like him.

"Mom, I'm sorry, Mom."

Tears fell down his eyes.
His mother at least needs to be respected.
He is the son of Princess Restia.

He works harder for the sake of the territory and he stops drinking.
He made a lot of improvement and caught the eyes of the crown prince.

"So you are the second son of Duke Zaldy."
The Crown Prince smiles.

"Yes, your highness."

"Hmm..I heard you are struggling to become the next Duke."

Ruben realized that the Crown prince is a sly man. But it was impossible not to pay attention to him.
"I am doing fine."
Even though his dad is dead set on giving the title to Aldan.
He is his legal son and his background is more impressive and with the help of his maternal family, he is not going down without a fight. But if his maternal family meddle in this Kingdom's politics it will also be bad for him and he might even be locked up for treason.
One can't serve two masters afterall.

"I see. I want to help you. Instead of a low born that doesn't know anything. Someone like you who has learnt from youth is best to become one of the Duke under my leadership."

"That-"
It was like the Crown prince was saying the King will soon pass the throne to him.
It was a common story for citizens to talk about the King's deteriorating health.
But it still shocked Ruben to hear.

"I want you to swear allegiance to me."
The Crown Prince said. "And I will make you the Duke of Evergrande."

It was not a tough choice.
I shake his hand
The Crown Prince is a schemer. But he is not as dull as that. He would like to cooperate with someone this talented and smart.

After the Prince ascended to the throne.
The Crown Prince confesses his feelings for him.
"I have always liked you."

"We can't."
Ruben walks away never turning back as tears fall down his cheeks.
After fighting together, scheme and smile together. He too, had fallen in love with him. But as a King, he needs to marry a woman and have a son that will continue the lineage.
As aan himself, he can't reproduce. And as a son, he needs to become the Duke.

He thought he could suppress his feelings.
He refused the King's help and was finally able to gain the title for himself and his mother.

"Ruben, Run!" His mother is catching her breath as she looks at him.
"Do not turn around. Do not Slow down. Run!"

"What is happening,Mother?"

"Flora...has fallen."
She tears up and hugs him.
"Your father goes to the palace and uses this to frame you. Run!"

"Then less run together!"

"My father ran away. He ran to leave his country men to die. I can't run. As a princess married off I will not receive a lot of punishment. Go. Be free to love and be who you want to be. You don't need shackles anymore. My pitiful son."

Running away.
He doesn't know why his father is doing this.
He promised he will give them support.
He never hated Aldan so he will support the path or career he wants.
Why does his father want to take his life?

"Ruben!"

A familiar voice.
He turns around and sees a knight holding a torch.

"Your Majesty?"

"Ruben!"

Ruben runs to him.
Michael jumps out his horse and hugs him.
"You stupid man! How can you run so fast?"

"Your majesty....My father....I...."

Michael scoops both his cheeks.
"You think I will listen to your father and let him hurt you? I let you go for a bit because I'm still busy after my father ruined this country under his name and the next thing you get in trouble you run away instead of relying on me?"

"But I....To you..."

Michael kisses his cheeks.
"You are the only one for me. You are my Empress."

"Your Majesty! I am not a woman!"

"I can tell!" He angrily shouted back.

Ruben was lost in words and just admired this handsome man's face.
Michael takes his hand and puts it on his cheek.
"I want you beside me."

Ruben pursed his lips.
"I will not let you have a mistress or side wife! Are you prepared?"

Michael smiles.
"Okay."

"I will not care even if you need an heir! Can you do it?"

"Haha. I have a lot of cousins and siblings. I will just adopt the most suitable one and raise him as a King."

Ruben's heart melted.
"I....What about my mother's wish?"

"I already talked to her. She said she always wanted to become a chef. So how about we let her live a life free of rules and let her just be who she wants to be?"

"You'll do that for me?"

"I'll do anything for you."

And thus the start of the story of the most peerless Male Empress in history.

The End

A/N

Hahhahaha.
Nyaa~~