Capitolo Undici | Chapter Eleven

Start from the beginning

They had all been shaped by the tragedies of their past.

Domenico was the first one to take note of Valeria's presence. Nowadays the air always changed whenever she was nearby. It felt colder and unlike anything he had known before.

Aria kept speaking until she realised that Domenico wasn't replying to her anymore. Her face turned turned to see why he was distracted and that was when her curious eyes fell on Valeria.

Aria had known her as the Camorra princess.

Her body shivered as she took in Valeria's dead eyes that glinted with something unknown as she stood near the doorway and watched everyone interact together. Her body was full of life though. They had never seen her fully awake and ready to join them for dinner.

The room quietened as more people noticed Valeria and they couldn't stop keep their surprised eyes off of her as she took a seat on the other side of Rosetta.

Domenico noticed a random soldier that he had seen around but could not identify follow on her heels and take a seat immediately at the empty space to her left.
Domenico's eyes blazed and he clenched his fists as he watched the unknown soldier look down with nervousness.

Everyone tried to not make it obvious that they were stunned by Valeria's appearance as they tried to continue chattering and serving the food again.

Rosetta rolled her eyes at how foolish everyone's behaviour looked as she stifled a laugh and turned, unable to hide a smile at the fact that her best friend was sitting next to her.

Valeria was jerked back slightly by the force of Rosetta's sudden hug but she immediately wrapped her arms around the girl who was like a sister to her and allowed her mask to drop for a moment as she savoured the nostalgic feeling of happiness she felt that second.

Domenico's eyes lightened from their state of passiveness towards the man next to Valeria as he watched Valeria hug his sister back.

They had all missed her. He had missed her.

Nobody was able to stay expressionless at the beautiful scene in front of them.
They had all been affected in one way or the other by the girl who was so lively and fierce before she had become a shell of the person she was until she came back. Tonight.

Valeria sat back in her place and allowed Isabella Abate to serve the food for her. Isabella's eyes widened with shock because Valeria had never let them do anything before because of how distrustful she had become towards all of them.

"Grazie Isabella." Valeria murmured surprising Isabella because she wasn't sure that Valeria even knew who she was.

Even though the people there acted like they were all talking and minding their own businesses, their attention was fully on Valeria.

Valeria leaned towards Lorenzo to whisper in his ear as she took a sip of the glass of water kept in front of her.

"First rule. Know your surroundings. Valerius always told me to focus on everything around me. I want you to find out one thing about each person here that I talk to tonight. If you can't do it, don't show me your face ever again. Don't worry I'll ask you for it when I need it, so you'll have a lot of time." She gave him a mocking smile with dark eyes, daring him to back out and break the word he had given her.

Lorenzo was ready to do it. He knew he had to get over his fears and he would redeem himself in any way that he could.

Valeria turned her head to look past Rosetta and Aria who were both looking at her to meet Domenico's invasive stare. She raised an eyebrow at him, daring him to say anything at all.