Chapter 5.2 - A Bizarre Encounter

Start from the beginning

"I think Horikita has a point," Hirata agreed, "Finding something everyone can truly agree on is close to impossible."

After a more few unproductive exchanges, the first meeting had ended before we knew it.

We parted ways, and I was left with Hirata, Kushida and Horikita.

"What should we do?" Kushida asked.

"Are you really not getting involved, Ayanokouji?"

"I'm not sure yet, but I think it might be better if you guys lead the way for this exam."

"Why?"

"It would be better for everyone if they stop depending on me."

"I don't really agree with this," Horikita admitted, "You're a Class D student like all of us. We should work together as a class, so you should work with us."

"Horikita. The truth is that I already have a pattern in mind. If the pattern is what I think it is, anyone can figure it out. You could figure it out yourself."

"Tch... if you're so unwilling to help, I suppose I have no choice but to figure out the pattern with the rest of the class."

"Yeah, let's work together to find the pattern. When we do that, then we can decide what outcome to go for," Hirata said.

"I agree! If Ayanokouji really doesn't want to help, then I suppose we have no choice," Kushida agreed.

Everyone then went back to their rooms, but I stayed behind to walk around the cruise ship, until I came across Kouenji who seemingly just got out of the pool.

"Oh ho! If it isn't Masterpiece boy!"

"Are you participating in this special exam Kouenji?"

"This special exam? This is child's play for a perfect existence like me."

He took out his phone and seemingly typed a message. Soon after, I had received a message from the school.

The special exam has ended for the Pig Group. All students from that group are free to do as they wish until the end of the exam period.

"So you've figured it out too, huh?"

"Ah ha ha! I suppose this exam is too easy for perfect existences like us, Masterpiece boy. Now I'll be enjoying the rest of my time on the cruise ship. Take care!"

He left while leaving water stains on the cruise ship's carpet.

I continued walking around the ship, and stopped at a floor map of the cruise ship.

They have a library?

I suppose I can go check it out.

********

The library wasn't as big as the one at school, but it certainly had more than a fair share of books.

I walked around the different aisles and head over to the mystery section.

Huh?

A girl with silver hair was struggling to grab a book on one of the top layers of the shelf. It didn't seem like the library had a stepstool.

I had seen her before. I first met her on the first day of school in the dormitory elevator. She's also in the Cow Group. Shiina Hiyori.

I stood up in front of her and grabbed the book she was reaching for.

"Wuthering Heights, huh? Do you like Brontë's works?"

"I don't dislike or like them. I suppose I just wanted to check it out. Umm..."