Chapter 55: Open Wounds Make For Vulnerable Dragon Children

Zuko took me out on a dinner date. He ordered food from a local noodle shop that I had always loved, and brought back home a collection of pastries from Lee's bakery. We spent the evening together, falling asleep facing each other, scattered scrolls with old stories and research papers scattered around us. We had ended up discussing political theories and spiritual fairy tales till midnight and then some.

The next morning, Jia woke us both up, looking incredibly amused. Zuko quickly left, not before slipping a kiss on my cheek, bounding off to get ready for the day.

"I predict that there will be rumors," I said to Jia as she checked my bandages. "Unless?"

"Don't have too much faith in me," Jia was smiling deviously.

I returned to my own office, insisting to everyone that I could do office work without straining my body. Guards and attendants that entered my office seemed to be incredibly cheery as they handed me tea, or reports. I rolled my eyes after one attendant opened the door to allow Zuko in, squeaking as she ran away.

"Does something feel off to you today?" Zuko walked over and sat in a chair next to me. "People have been staring and smiling at me all day."

"I blame Jia." I handed Zuko some mail that received from today's batch of messenger hawks. "Young love is her favorite thing to gossip about."

Zuko's cheeks were pink, "Oh, so does that mean..."

"Everyone thinks we have a thing."

"...But they aren't wrong... right?"

"Well, what do you think?" I turned to him, propping a hand under my chin.

"What would you like it to be?" Zuko countered, copying my pose. I laughed, leaning towards him. Our foreheads touched.

"Let's say we're dating." I tried to tickle him, "You're courting me."

"It is my pleasure, my lady." Zuko reached out to block my hand.

We exchanged grins, already enveloped in each other's company. But just as we got comfortable, an awkward cough came from the door. Zuko and I both looked up to see Poko standing at attention, tilting her head just the slightest.

"Am I interrupting something?"

Zuko leaned away from me as I straightened up in my seat. "Poko!" I cleared my throat, smoothing my hair back. "Not at all, what do you need?"

"Just delivering a letter," Poko strode over to us. "I was to give this to the Fire Lord, but I was unable to find him in his office." She held out the paper to Zuko who sheepishly took it.

I leaned over Zuko's shoulder to read the contents.

"The Southern Water Tribe?" I scanned the letter, finding a familiar name at the bottom. "It's Katara and Sokka's father!"

"Hakoda?" Zuko read the name, "They mentioned that name before."

"What does he want?" Poko asked, curious.

Zuko rubbed his chin. "Seems like he wants to invite all the world leaders to a meeting at the Southern Water Tribe."

"Did he specify why?"

"An invitation to discuss a union of sorts..." Zuko read, "To help strengthen and reconstruct the Southern Water Tribe."

~~~

Zuko was already making arrangements to leave. But it had proven difficult for me to convince him that I was ready for a big trip.

"It would be so much fun though!"