Chapter 13: Boulders and Deserts

After a few days of rest, the gang had finally gotten back to themselves. And because of their newfound energy, Toph had decided that it was time to train Aang in earthbending. I awoke to the rumble of the earth as Toph greeted her new student. Rubbing my eyes, I sat up hearing Aang's excited voice.

"Good morning, Sifu Toph!"

"Hey," Katara sounded a little deflated next to me, "You've never called me Sifu before." Aang sheepishly looked at Katara, rubbing the back of his head.

"I mean, if you think I should..." His voice drifted off, seeing Sokka peer out from his sleeping bag. He was clearly a morning person.

"Sorry Snoozies." Toph waved a hand at Sokka, "We'll do our earthbending as quietly as we can." Toph then proceeded to slam her heel into the ground, creating a large crack. From underneath Sokka, a large pillar formed, catapulting him into the air. I cringed at his strangled scream as Toph dragged Aang away. I sighed and slipped out of my bag, rolling it up.

"Katara, is there anything I should do?" I asked, "Get food?" Katara didn't answer, her eyes lingering on Toph and Aang as Aang excitedly waved his arms around speaking to Toph. "Katara?" I tried again. The waterbender blinked a few times before turning back to me.

"Huh?"

"Is there anything I should be doing?"

"Oh." Katara stood up and began rolling up her sleeping bag. "If you don't mind, you can start getting some food, yea." I raised my eyebrow, a little amused but hummed in agreement, reaching out to Momo, who graciously took my chin scratches. "Would you like to come with me?" I asked the lemur as he scuttled up my arm and onto my shoulder.

When Momo and I got back from collecting some nuts and fruit from a nearby grove, I found Toph shouting at Aang,

"KEEP YOUR KNEES HIGH TWINKLE TOES!" Aang was desperately trying to carry a large boulder on his back as Toph stomped on the ground causing little rock pillars to form underneath his feet. I was both terrified and amused at what could happen in just a little over an hour.

I slowly set my provisions down, strolling over to Katara. She was perched on a rock, hands supporting her chin.

"Soooo, what did I miss?" I asked.

"I gave Toph some advice on teaching Aang." Katara said.

"And how is that working out?" I pressed gently.

"It's... going." Katara sighed, "I almost regret my decision."

"What in the world did you say to her?" I murmured, watching now as Toph directed Aang to try to dig his fingers like sand into solid earth.

"I told her to use lots of encouragement and praise." Katara explained, "And gently nudge him in the right direction if he's doing something wrong."

"Right, right." I said, observing Aang nurse his very sore hand. "Definitely see your influence." I avoided Katara's glare, focusing on feeding Momo some nuts.

After a few hours of grueling training, there was some significant change in Aang's stance. It was definitely more earthbender-like. But then, Toph instructed Aang to try something else.

"This time, you're going to stop a rock instead of pushing it." She said, "Get in your horse stance!" Aang complied as Toph spoke more, "I'm going to roll that boulder down at you If you have the attitude of an earthbender, you'll stay in your stance and stop the rock." I heard Katara run up to the group and looked up from playing with Momo.