Chapter XXIV

3rd Person POV:

[ CAFETERIA ]

So there they were. Walking down the hall to go to this 'machine with foods' as the man would say. He would try to strike up conversations, which she would briefly answer to end their interaction. The woman was on edge, and he could sense this. 

The woman was trying to not let any of her information slip out, so that the man wouldn't know her real identity. Though, the (h/c) haired woman is failing miserably in concealing her identity. Wearing the same human disguise from before was already a mistake to begin with.

Finally arriving at the cafeteria, (which is mostly filled with humans since the gods are too prideful to interact with humans in public) the both of them were greeted with foods of different types and origin. Customers were occupying tables or falling in line, chefs and servers were doing their job, the place was vibrant and boisterous. The man nudges his companion towards the opposite section where less people are in. 

He led the woman to the 'machines with food' or...vending machines. The man calls a wandering human near them who looks like they live in the 21st century.

"You there, show us how this machinery works, please." The silver haired man politely asked.

"Oh um… you insert your coins here and the cash is over here…" The person instructs, pushing buttons of numbers and letters. Moments later, a pack of chips came out of the machine. The silver haired man was impressed by this and copied what the person did; inserting coins, pushing buttons, and his snack of choice came out of the machine.

"Astounding! Thank you, stranger." The man gives credit to the person before turning towards the woman.

"What would you like, Madam?" He gleefully smiles.

The woman looks over the contents of the machine before picking out her choice of snacks.

"I'll pick (fave chips)." She requests.

The man repeats his actions, (fave chips) coming out of the machine. He handed the snack to the woman, they sat on a bench beside the machines and ate their food silently. Only the rustling of chips and munching of food could be heard. 

The silver haired man wanted to speak, to break the awkward silence but he remembered his attempts earlier in striking a conversation, so he kept his words to himself.

The woman was first to finish, standing up to throw her garbage, and returning beside the man who's still eating. They observed the bustling people in front of them, all were wearing a smile, conversing with one another. Some were by themselves, safe and comfortable in their own bubble. 

When the woman noticed the man already finished his food and threw his trash, she stood up and poked him by the shoulder, catching his attention.

"Thank you for the food, sir." The woman smiled radiantly.

'Ah, that's nostalgic.' the man thought to himself.

"No problem, madam." He returns the warm smile before turning away from her. "I shall get going now, I'm sorry again for flicking your forehead." He says before hastily walking towards the cafeteria's exit.

The woman stood there, content. 'He didn't recognize me at all, huh?' she thought before walking to the opposite direction where the man went. The woman was about to return to where her siblings are when a thought suddenly ran through her mind.

'Wait. He's Jack the Ripper, he's JACK THE RIPPER! He's got a lot of haters and enemies— especially the gods!' The woman kicks off her (f/c) heels, and lifts her gown's skirt before dashing the entirety of the halls of Valhalla. The woman ran through the halls, making sure to check the clinic and cafeteria as she passed by. But there were no signs of the silver haired man.