Childhood Friends

Arthur and I had known each other since grade school. We laughed, played, fought, and argued; despite arguing, we always told each other everything. I fell in love with him our senior year of high school. Well, I think I always loved him, but I realized it then. However, although I realized it then, it was too late to say anything. We decided to go to different schools far away from each other, and I figured it would not work out. He returned to his home country in England, and I decided to attend a university in the United States, in the crazy state of Texas. We kept in touch here and there, but soon, we didn't.

After college, I found out he got married to a girl he met. Her name was Amelia, and she was gorgeous, they seemed very happy, so I had to throw my feelings away. I also started dating and met a wonderful woman who had my entire heart. Her name was Monika, and she was also a foreign exchange student, but she was from Germany. The reason I say 'had' is because we both decided to get a divorce last year when I was twenty-six. We had only been married for about three years, and it was not a messy divorce. She realized she did not love men as she thought she should. She was a lesbian and came out to me, and that is when I decided to come out to her about loving men.

We did not have any children, so the divorce was straightforward. She ended up meeting someone this year, and we still keep in touch. I still love her, but it is not the same love someone would have for a significant other. She and I are still very close, and she moved to Italy a couple of months back.

After the divorce, I also decided to move back to my home country, France, where I am now. It is where I grew up with my sister and went to school with Arthur. It was nice to be back after so much time had passed.

I was excited about my current situation. I was currently at a high school reunion for my old school. I was primarily excited because Arthur was going to be here. I had contacted him asking if he was coming, and he said he was! I had been looking around all night, and although I came alone, I was excited to see old friends besides Arthur.

I knew he was bringing his wife, but I was over him! I was not going to feel jealous or anything! It is my first time seeing Arthur after so long, but I respect his relationship and would never step out of line! I think he is really neat.

"Hey! Francis! how exciting to see you?" I heard a familiar voice. I turned around and smiled, seeing an old friend. "Hey! Matthew, where is Alfred?" I smiled. I stood up and pulled him in for a hug. "Ahh, you know my brother! Late as usual, how are you? I might have seen Arthur coming in, though," He spoke. My eyes widened, and I immediately started looking around. Matthew began to laugh at me, putting his hand on my back. "Do not worry! He will be here," He laughed. "Yeah, I know," I laughed nervously.

"Oh my! Sorry... Matthew... so many...people..." Alfred came out of nowhere and began to breathe heavily. "Oh, calm down; you did not run that far," Matthew rolled his eyes. Alfred finally looked up at me and smiled. "Wow, you look so different," He smiled. "Well, I hope I will have after secondary school," I laughed. We all took a seat at my table and began to talk about what we had been up to. Of course, I had told them about my wife and how we came out to each other. "Francis? You like men?" Alfred asked, shocked. I took a deep breath in and rolled my eyes.

I felt a sudden tap on my shoulder, and I immediately turned around to see Arthur. NO WAY! DID HE HEAR ALL OF THAT? "Arthur?" I spoke, shocked. I stood up quickly, and he laughed at me. Seeing him, my face turned red, and I had no idea what to do. "Hey..." I spoke.

"Hey... Francis," he laughed. In the past, we argued and sometimes fought like we hated each other, but right now, all I felt was love for the person in front of me. "It is so good to see you," I smiled at him. "Yeah, I see you still don't know how to stop dressing like you need attention all the time," he laughed. I smiled at what he said and shook my head, "Is that all you can come up with? You know English is not much of a compelling language," I laughed.

I pulled him in for an embrace, and I felt my heart beat fast as I felt his head resting against my shoulder. I held him tightly and pulled away from him to smile. His warm smell filled a hole inside me that I did not realize was missing. Wow, it is him. I have never been so happier.

"Arthur, are you going to introduce us?" A voice asked. Arthur suddenly tensed up, and his smile quickly went away. "Right...this is Francis... he is an old friend from school... I have mentioned him before," He spoke nervously. "Francis, this is Amelia, my wife," He said, looking down. I lifted an eyebrow at his sudden change of character. "Oh! Nice to meet you, Francis; I remember now! However, I don't remember Arthur mentioning how handsome you are," she giggled. I felt a little uneasy as she said that to me. I looked over to Arthur, who did not seem to be bothered by this. I then looked over to Mattew and Alfred, who sensed some weird air tension.

"Arthur, be a dear and get me a drink," she spoke. "Oh! I can go with you, Alfred, Matthew? do you want anything?" I asked. "Oh, just whatever they have should be fine," Alfred answered for the both of them. Amelia took a seat beside Matthew, and I smiled at Arthur. "Alright, let's go," I spoke.

Arthur and I began to walk to the area where the drinks were, and I would look over at him from time to time. "What is wrong? You are suddenly quiet," I spoke. "Oh! Yeah... sorry..." He said nervously. "Well, do not be so tense! We are alone now; how are you?" I asked, serving a drink. "Well, I finally convinced Amelia to move to France so that I will be moving here soon, now we can see each other more," He smiled. "Wow! That is amazing news! I can not wait," I answered.

It grew silent again as we served the drinks. "Did you see Alfred's hair? He used too much gel if you ask me," I laughed. Arthur turned back to look at him, and he soon started laughing. "That idiot, I bet he begged Matthew to help him too," He added. We both began to walk back to the table, holding the drinks, and I continued to laugh. I felt so happy being with him.

As we got closer to the table, Arthur sat beside his wife and placed the cups in front of them. I handed Alfred and Matthew their drinks and stood up. "Sorry, excuse me for a second; I want to wash my hands quickly," I spoke. They all nodded at me, and I walked toward the washroom. I took my phone from my pocket and saw messages from Matthew.

"Something about her is weird... the way she talks about Arthur, it gives me bad vibes," it read. What on earth does that mean? I know he has good judgment, but I did not notice anything weird about her. I walked out into the hall and looked at the walls full of old photos of the classes from the previous years.

I stopped in front of the one with the year two thousand and thirteen. I looked for myself and smiled, seeing Young me standing beside young Arthur. Alfred and Matthew were behind us, along with a few other people I used to know. I held my phone up and began to take a picture of the two of us, then of everyone from farther away. I was going to show Arthur later.

"So what exactly is your relationship with my Husband?"

"WHOA!"

I jumped and looked beside me, seeing Amelia. Damn, she came out of nowhere!

"Uh? Our relationship? Just platonic, we have always been friends," I spoke. I looked at her, a little confused, and she stared at me suspiciously. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, you and Arthur just seem a little too close for my liking, and after overhearing your 'coming' out story, I am sure that you are the type to not keep his hands to himself," She spoke. I was shocked that she said something like that.

"It is not like that at all; he and I are just childhood friends; I would never-"

"Yeah, well, I do not need you getting it into his head that he likes men. It is a disgrace; he is not a faggot!"

"OH, HEY! YOU CAN'T JUST SAY THAT; ARE YOU CRAZY?" My eyes widened at what she said, and I saw how Arthur came from nowhere. He was down the hall and began to walk toward us. "Stay away from him; I don't need your influence around," She hissed. This was very shocking to me. "Hey, I just wanted to check on you. Is everything alright?" Arthur asked.

"Yes! just peachy!" she smiled. I looked at him, worried, and he looked back at me, confused. "Well! Let's go back!" she smiled. I watched as they started to walk away. That is when I saw something peeking out from the back of his neck. He tensed up as she grabbed him, and I felt sick to my stomach.

It was not a hickey; I knew a bruise; I was not an idiot.

"This bitch..." I whispered to myself.