ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ - ꜰᴏᴜʀ

Start from the beginning

"Listen – can we talk?"

"If it's about Mason, then no."

He tutted, "C'mon—"

"I already know what you're going to say," he sighed, "Jase already gave me the talk."

Blaine folded his arms across his chest, "Okay, so then you're already aware that this thing you have going on with him is going nowhere?—yeah?"

Maverick pushed off the counter and attempted to swing out of the room, but Blaine stood in front of him, not letting him pass. Even if they were relatively the same height, there was a part of him that was more intimidating than Mav would ever be. With a side nod, he spoke without words, telling him to take a seat at the island for a friendly and much-needed chat.

He groaned, but gave up and sat down.

"Why are you so hellbent on being with him?" he questioned, taking a seat himself.

"It's just fun," he shrugged, "I like exploring him."

"What does that even mean?"

The corners of his lips tilted up, "I'm just taking everything he's giving," he paused, "—and then some," the smirk transformed into a sly smile.

It looked as if he was deep in a reminiscent thought.

"What is that supposed to mean?" he repeated.

"Nothing," he waved it off, "—but we're fine, there's no need to worry."

"Maverick," he deadpanned, "He hit you."

"I provoked him," he shrugged.

Blaine sat back on his stool with complete disbelief on his face. The apathy and nonchalance in the conversation were reaching dangerous levels; it was two seconds from falling into an alley devoted to purpose – like he was purposely allowing this to happen to him for some greater reason.

No matter how many times he racked his brain, he couldn't find a solid explanation.

"You realize that he will never like you, right?"

"No," he shifted the bag again, "I don't."

"Maverick, do not be stupid. He's in love with Kai – he's just using you!"

"Be that as it may," he shrugged once more, "I'm fine being a rebound."

"Until when?" Blaine felt his anger surge, "Until he goes back to the person he's always going to choose over you? Until you realize that this new personality of his is because he's with you and not him? This is growing pathetic, even for you."

At the sound of his words and the straightening out of his friend's back, he was expecting to have some type of verbal laceration sent in his direction, but none of that happened. Instead, Maverick stood up, replaced the wet paper towel with a dry one, and then began rifling through the cabinets.

Blaine watched him with a raised eyebrow, wondering what the hell he was getting at with this act. A part of him almost wished they were never asked to pair up with Rueben's team; prior to it, their member dynamic was never questioned; authenticity was a given – now it was a rarity.

"What are you doing?" he finally voiced as he grabbed pans.

"Making dinner," he looked over his shoulder, "I was thinking Pasta Alla Vodka, sound good?"

"Seriously," he snorted, "What is the point of all of this?—do you like hurting yourself?"

"I have my reasons," he said slowly.