V (Epilogue)

"...It has passed a lot of time, hasn't it? I guess you want some news from the surface..."

"Nobody wanted to come back, so we quickly made an installment nearby the bottom of the mountain."

"The humans eventually found out about us, it was pretty weird at first, since most of the people here were scared of them, but the humans treated us nicely, and you know, monsters don't hold grudges for long by nature."

"They apologized for the imprisonment and all that, but no big deal, it's not their fault, and they weren't even sure if we still were there."

"Some of them even helped us to build the town, and also they made the announcement that we were in the surface. There were few anti-monster groups, but they didn't last long, since we're a lot weaker and our numbers are not even comparable, especially after... you know."

"Talking about the town, is a really nice place, you'd love it, everyone helped to build it, heck, even me, you sure wouldn't expect that"

"Asgore suggested to call it 'Newest Home', nobody liked it, so we finally called it 'Hometown', not very original either, but we stick with it anyways."

"...One of the first things we've done after we settled in was to return to the Underground in order to get everyone's dust, luckily thanks to Alphys we managed to identify almost everyone."

"After that we celebrated a massive funeral where we talked about our losses, and we scattered the dust on their favorite object, since some people were unidentified, or had no family left, their dust was scattered in a special garden made by Asgore, to at least honor them in some way. Overall it was a pretty... emotional event."

"..."

"Oh, yes, Alphys. People lost trust on Asgore after he did nothing to stop the massacre, and instead they opted to have her as her queen, though she prefers the terms, 'president' or 'leader', Asgore didn't argue at all about this, and he happily retired after a long time of being king."

"She tries her best, sometimes the pressure gets her bad, but I'm trying to help her the best I can, though, I've definitely seen a lot of growth from her."

"One if hers priorities right now is to free Asgore, oh, right, haven't mentioned it yet."

"The humans eventually asked about how we broke the barrier, Asgore told about the human souls deal, and took the full blame on it."

"Right now he went to prison indefinitely, but in his words, it hasn't been that bad, good for him, I guess."

"Though some rumors say that he often receives visits from a 'little flower'. So that would explain a lot, actually."

"..."

"I guess you want some new about me, uh?"

"Welp, now people consider me like a hero, crazy, isn't it?"

"And I'm actually trying to use that to involve myself more with the community, and I've been doing a lot of work related to that. Sounds unbelievable, even for myself, but lately I've been trying to get more rid off my lazy self gradually, it's the best I can do, after all that happened."

"By the way, the technology here is even crazier than I thought, and with some help of other scientists on the surface, I've been trying to repair that machine."

"I'll tell you about it later, ok? There's still a lot of progress to make, but with we have now, I actually have more hope about the future than I'd ever had."

"..."

Sans sighed, "I think that's pretty much everything," he looked over the bone-like tombstone.

"I'll try to come over more often, I hated having you to wait this long"

He turned around, and started walking outside the graveyard.

"See ya later, Paps."

papyrus

a battle body for the best brother anybody could ask in the multiverse.

...

A/N: And that's it, the final chapter!
First I want to apologize if this ending isn't what you'd expect, but since I started writing this I wanted this to be a short story of maximum 5 or 6 chapters about this concept I had in my head.
I didn't want to have a pending story for so long, so I opted for his way.
Still, I think that for the story itself the ending was alright, I wanted to do something similar to Undertale's neutral endings, and I think it worked out pretty nicely.
That being said, don't expect this world to have fully ended!
I still have some ideas for this, which I'll likely write in a future story, mostly based on what Sans said in this chapter, I don't know when those will come by, but anyhow, stay tuned!