45 - Hidden Behind Stone

Zacznij od początku

Pisces

Pisces

Aquaria's breath tickles my ear as she whispers her now–favorite word. "Simp." It brings a flush to my cheeks as Carina throws back her hair and stares at the ceiling. Aquaria's been glaring at Carina for a while now, displeased. Carina doesn't notice, or maybe it's on purpose.

"For the last time, Aquaria," I say with a grimace, "I am not a simp!" It's loud enough for Carina to shoot me a quizzical glance before shrugging.

She smirks, pulling her hood up to cover her face before kneeling down to inspect the ground, passing gloved hands lightly over the rough ground. She wears fingerless gloves, and her claws scrape the ground, the only noise that is made for some time as I step back to take in the smooth wall.

It's carved with something. As if they're runes in a mysterious language. A line carves down, and then up, and then down again in a misshapen N. Two dots are scrawled in ink on either side of it.

"What is this, a magic spell?" I mutter, touching my finger to one of the dots. It's oddly warm. I decide to touch the index finger on my other hand to the dot on the other side. Something grumbles deep under me. "Guys, I've found something."

Aquaria looks over. "Oh," she says, "look." Cracks run through the stone suddenly, framing the N in a rectangle. She rises, placing her palm in the middle of the N and splays her fingers as she ducks under my outstretched arms. The cracks begin to grow more pronounced and Carina stops to watch us, head cocked to the side in curiosity.

That, of course, is when we're disturbed. Loud footsteps are followed by the silent ones and Aquaria jerks her head to the side, her eyes tracking the sound, as the slab of stone lets out a final groan and is pushed backwards, exposing a narrow hole that's large enough to crawl through. She steps back, but her attention is already fixed somewhere else.

As Aquaria shoots a heated glare at Scorpio and ignores Gemi, I step closer and stick my head inside the hole. A warm hand rests on my arm as Carina observes, "I don't think you should do that."

I stick my head further into the darkness to hide the blush. "Yeah, well, I'm doing that," I say. "It's cold in there."

Steadying myself against the wall with one hand, I reach a hand further in. Carina firmly grips my shoulders as I feel around in the dark hole. I seem to be touching something smooth and cold. Perhaps it's a floor. I can feel no imperfections in it. There's this upraised portion too — it moves — it feels like a crudely wrapped package. I close my fingers around it and begin to pull my hand away.

"Pisces!" yells Carina, suddenly stumbling back and pulling me with her. I fumble and drop the package as I fly backwards, realizing that she's surprisingly strong. A dim, final thud makes me peer back into the hole, but it is now sealed with a slab of metal that blocks it firmly.

I realize that I was very, very close to having my arm crushed. I feel a wave of cold shock surge down my spine as I glance wildly at her, "How did you know?" I demand. Her arms curve around my stomach as she holds me close, her chest rising and falling as she breathes. I twist my head and notice her calm cyan eyes lock onto mine. She seems worried. As if she cares about me. But of course she would. She knows me as a friend, maybe not even that, since I'm the "therapist" of her archenemy's sister, and also her brother's archenemy.