37 - Survival of the Idiotic

Vienna

Vienna

The alley is blocked!" I scream as the sound of something slamming down behind me reaches my ears. "How do we get out?" In front is something incredibly destructive. Behind is a huge boulder.

"How do we destroy it?" Sagittaria sounds much calmer than I thought she would be. "Arson? Duct tape?" What is wrong with Deadpools and duct tape?

Aquaria laces her fingers together and pushes at the air. I know she's manipulating the air, but to me it seems as if she summoned tendrils of smoke. They push against the boulder, but it doesn't move.

"We can climb it," suggests Taurus, who's been quiet this whole time. "Look, there's the sky."

"I'm sorry, but I'm not strong enough to climb a huge boulder," I object.

Taurus glances at Scorpio, who hadn't looked very surprised at the boulder crashing down, or Carina, who immediately tried to manipulate water to push it away. That didn't work either.

"Can you fly us up?" Sagittaria asks, but her sister just shakes her head, shifting on her feet almost anxiously.

I pass my hands over the boulder, summoning vines. Taurus does the same, and we make vines crawl up the boulder to the top, shifting into a ladder with thick rungs. I start climbing first carefully. Once I lose my footing and my foot slips, grazing my knee. But I reach the top. Staring down, I carefully sit down so that I don't lose my balance, noticing Leilani pulling someone with fiery orange hair up.

I wave at my sister frantically and she finally looks at me with shock.

When we're back in the hotel, clumped in a hotel room — as somehow all of us have managed to fit in it, we regale each other with completely embellished tales. I lean back as Ari chugs a bottle of ice water, trying to drink it all before Leo. Ice included. I hate crunching ice.

"So I was kinda scared because you know, I was bleeding and I hate closed spaces —" Gemi describes to Leilani. My older sister leans closer a bit as he starts talking more rapidly before Leilani blushes suddenly and leans back.

I sit on the headboard of a bed, dangling my feet down as I zone out. An ice cube suddenly hits me on the leg and I snap out of it.

Leo smirks maliciously at me before turning to Nia with an innocent look; she's judging the competition. "I definitely ate that ice cube," he claims over Ari's protests of cheating. I flick the ice cube back hard and it hits the back of his head.

"That ice cube looks very eaten," Nia observes.

Scorpio wanders over, grabs Leo's cup — still pretty full of ice — and snatches a few ice cubes to crunch on. Meanwhile, Pisces is trying to climb the curtains, which are going to rip. He braces his foot on the windowsill and tries to grab onto the curtain rod, but in vain. My stomach clenches slightly.