7- Shattered Conscience

Start from the beginning

The Green Ninja, you notice, is the only one besides the Master of Ice himself who appears unfazed by the icy conditions, or the lack of identifying features for that matter.

That's probably because he's too busy acting cold to feel it, you decide.  I wish I knew what exactly happened.  Something that could explain why he turns so serious and bitter only minutes after laughing and joking with the rest of them.

Your thoughts are interrupted by him softly clearing his throat.

"Um.  Sorry if I sounded rude, I just don't have the fondest memories of this place.  It brings back some things that I would rather leave in the past."  The explanation is finished off with an awkward laugh.

So he has been here.  But he still acts like he hasn't, or at the very least annoyed when someone treats him as though he should know specific details about what we're getting ourselves into...

"Anyways, how are you feeling?  I know you were still aching a little from moving all of that wreckage."

You startle at the change in topic, recovering enough to roll your eyes as you respond.  "I'm perfectly fine.  If anything, I should be asking you that question.  Y'know, since you only managed to break a few ribs and most of your limbs."

"So I've been told," the ninja responds, tired yet amused.  "But seeing as I was able to get up and walk away after only a few hours, I'm starting to think everyone may have overexaggerated that part."

Before you can suppress it, a smile works its way across your own face at his sudden change in attitude.  You fiddle with the hem of your tunic while working out how to phrase the next question that nags at your brain and heart, eventually opening your mouth to speak.

"Hey Lloyd?"

"Yeah, y/n?"

"How—"

The harsh echo of another voice, one not belonging to your own crew of ninja, freezes the team faster than any quantity of ice could.

You think it was Zane who first signaled everyone to drop into a crouch behind the meager cover available, but it could have been Nya or Jay.  With the deep gray gradually settling across the peak, it's nearly impossible to tell, despite the bold coloring of the gi.

At an imperceptible signal from Lloyd, the others creep forward.  You follow uncertainly, bracing against patches of rough stone to keep from slipping.

There, beyond a rigid cluster of tall rock peaks and in one of the few patches of level ground: a small fire, surrounded by perhaps a half-dozen cloaked figures.

When a hand grabs you from behind, you jump, dropping down again as you recognize the particular shadow as Lloyd.  He motions impatiently to his teammates, apparently already scattered about every nook and formation of rock and ice, and within moments everyone is huddled together.

"This could be them!" Lloyd hisses, eyes gleaming in the feeble light.  "The ones who planted the emblem on our ship, the ones who were trying to get ahold of the scroll's power."

Cole frowns, eyes searching through the darkness for the faint glow of the fire.  "How can you be sure?  The only thing we know about them is that someone is apparently looking for the scroll and trying to stop us in the process.  Which doesn't give us a whole ton to go off of when just about anyone here or from one of the other sixteen realms would be glad to take care of us for good, not to mention get ahold of some untold power."

"Couldn't have said it better," Jay agrees, mirroring his friend's anxious gaze towards the strangers' distant camp.

Kai shrugs impassively.  "Well it would help if we actually had someone reliable and not untrustworthy and vague to tell us anything about your mysterious individuals."