3- Pride Before Fall

The shadow frowns slightly.  The figure in green still watches the rooftop intently, refusing to break his hard gaze even as he follows the Master of Ice out of the courtyard.  Then, open-mouthed, the Green Ninja locks eyes with the individual he sought out amongst the other faint shadows.

Of course he saw me.  Of course he had to keep on interrupting what was never his business to begin with.

To Morro's own surprise, these thoughts about Lloyd are wrought with guilt and disappointment, far from the apparent hatred in the other boy's eyes.  The ghost refuses to move from his position, even as the intense green eyes warn him away.  Then, Lloyd leaves, still keeping pace with the oblivious nindroid ahead of him.

Nearly an hour later, the ghost still perches stubbornly on the roof of the old temple.  All this time, and Wu has yet to exit the building.  Only a minute, Morro decides, all that it will take for an apology.  Or was it a question?   Certainly not one he was eager to ask directly.  Morro shudders, freezing in place as the sensation ripples through his ghostly form.

Did I just... shiver?  Impossible, I'm already among the dead.  I can't experience the cold, and I can't experience fear.

Just like the years of training spent with Master Wu.  Strenuous, desperate at times, but only because he himself made it so.  And eventually, quite devoid of any "lesser" emotions.  Fear had been cut out of the ambitious boy's life, and shortly afterward so had his only source of comfort and protection.

I know he thanked me after the last time... 

 Morro shudders again.  Of course, this time, it was most definitely his imagination.  He has nothing to fear from his own thoughts. 

But would he really be pleased to see me still here in Ninjago?  What if he wants me far from his precious Green Ninja?

Simple thoughts, and yet they manage to wrench out his ghastly, transparent heart each time they reappear.  Turning angrily, the ghost leaps from the temple roof, closing his eyes to the wind around him.  And leaving both his questions and answers, his fears and his hope behind.

~~~

Lloyd closes his eyes bitterly to the wind and its memories around him.   Zane, still completely unaware of his change in mood, waits patiently nearby, monitoring the many gauges and switches of the Bounty's controls.  More patient and serene than the legendary Green Ninja knows he will feel for quite some time.

What does he want?  I know that Master Wu was excited to see him on the Day of the Departed, but now he has no excuses to be in Ninjago of all places.  I can't help but see why he wasn't chosen to be the Green Ninja.  He hasn't done anything to deserve that title.

Standing straighter, Lloyd turns stiffly away from the ship's prow.  Facing the planks of wood beneath his feet, his memory has no trouble conjuring up memories of a dark fight on the worn planks of Stiix.  Nor the individual who tore him up inside, with more rage than fear.  He grasps the hilt of his blade.  Not much good against a ghost, but perhaps good enough to send a message.

No, I need answers.  I can only fight him after he pushes me to it, and for that I'll need a suitable weapon.  Lloyd sucks in a breath, surreptitiously wiping sweating palms on the hem of his emerald gi.  I need answers, and I'm not going to stop until I find them.

His stance immediately softens as he remembers that while he does not yet have the answers he searches for, he already has answers to what Wu would expect of him.   Answers, and still a whirlwind of questions, both for himself and for his uncle.

"How can you learn to forgive someone?"

Lloyd practically whispers the words, the soft spoken nature of the question smoothing over any tremble in his voice.