Realizations

-chapter 28-

My ankles ache as my feet pound the ground, pushing forward faster and faster. At every patrolling person I saw, I would skid to a stop, quickly relaying Silco's words before continuing towards the southern  plant. With no clue as to what was happening there, my mind ran wild, Silco's terrified face cemented in my mind. I've never seen him look this worried; though, to be fair, I didn't have the displeasure of interacting with him all that often. His reputation would allude to him being a stoically emotionless person, so his strained features are enough to keep me on the balls of my feet and head on a swivel as I race towards where I was directed to.

As I near the plant, a bloodcurdling scream catches my attention, pulling my eyes from the ground and up ahead of me; what I'm met with nothing short of steals the breath from my lungs. Vast plumes of smoke balloon over the houses, one or two of the spires towering above the plant rearing their heads through it. A deep purple hue laces through the smoke, and a sound like crackling energy accompanies the sight.

Sprinting again, I round the corner, ignoring the burning in my legs in lieu of the screams that multiply as I get closer. They sound like children's voices, and dread pools heavily in my chest. When I come into full view of the factory, I freeze in my tracks against my will.

Before me, the southern plant creaks on its foundation, an all-encompassing fire storming through it. Before my eyes, windows shatter and floors collapse. Small figures on what look like gravity-defying hoverboards dive in and out of the smoke, buzzing around the dilapidating building like a beehive, grabbing what seemed to be the children Silco had enlisted to work and carrying them to the roof of an adjacent building. They could be recognized anywhere.

"Firelights." Their name escapes my mouth no louder than a breath.

As if my voice was heard, I see one of the masked individuals pause in mid-air, a child still on their back. Their mask covers their face in its entirety, making it look like they're staring at me blankly. My mouth hangs open, unsure of if I should be running or taking up arms.

Seemingly as quickly as it paused, though, the firelight is moving again, setting the child down before speeding directly at me. With my fight or flight deciding moments too late that it should kick in, I begin to scramble backwards- but before I can escape, the firelight jumps off of their machine and grabs me by the shoulders.

"Y/N."

They said my name. I have to take a few moments to register that they called me by name before remembering that I should respond.

"W... What?"

With one swift motion, they remove their mask, simultaneously releasing a head of short black hair. While her hair isn't the same, I recognize her immediately.

"Oh my god- Raven?"

She nods, a quick, nearly unnoticeable thing.

"You're with the firelights?"

Another nod. "They took me in after I left the club that night. I survived on what you gifted me until then."

Pulling her into a hug, I can't help but laugh, just for a moment. "I'm so glad you're okay."

"I am too." Raven answers, a laugh dancing through her voice as well before she retracts. "I can't be here much longer, but I drew something up for you for if I ever saw you again."

Grabbing my wrist, the girl turns it over and opens my hand, pressing a small paper into my palm in the same way I had with the money the last night I saw her. My eyebrows pull down in confusion, beginning to unfold the paper.