A Happy Moment

-chapter 19-

I hear loud rustling and quiet cursing as my brain begins to register it's consciousness. My mind immediately runs to Jinx, and I know without a doubt that it's her, messing with god knows what. Of course she'd be awake this early.

"Mmmm..." I groan, rolling over towards the sound and feeling the shot of pain that courses through me. "What are you doing?" I pull the thin blanket closer around me and pinch my eyes shut as tight as I can. I'm only now registering the lack of warmth without her beside me and it sends a chill up my spine.

Instead of a response, the ruckus dies down, giving me just enough time to drift back to a very thin sleep.

"Well, hello there."

My body jolts back awake violently and I'm thrust from sleep once again, my eyes flying open. Jinx stands over my curled form, now fully clothed in her typical outfit.

"Jesus, Jinx, don't do that!" I scold half-assedly, my mind already begging to fall back into unconsciousness. Of course I'm used to rude and abrupt awakenings from Sevika, but with the energetical toll the past day had taken on me and the insistent pounding just behind my eyes, it would take more than the demons of hell to get me off of that couch. Jinx's face has twisted into a pouting one at my tone.

"Someone's grumpy."

I merely roll my eyes behind my closed eyelids and roll onto my back once more, Jinx's frame hovering over me. She giggles at my semi conscious annoyance, and reaches a gentle hand to my cheek to brush my hair away from it. "You all worn out?"

"Mmm..." I respond again, opening my eyes as a smirk is painted across my lips. "Fuck you."

"I mean, if you insist." Jinx hums, shrugging and bending down towards me. She presses languid kisses to my face, my lips and my neck as I writhe beneath her.

"No! Stop!" I cry, laughter bubbling from my lips as I try to push her off. Finally she concedes, resting back on her heels. As she does, I catch a glimpse of her eyes again, and it takes everything in me not to draw her back into me- I can't help but get lost in the swirling blues of her irises. It feels so cheesy, but I'm entirely starstruck.

After what feels like an eternity stuffed into a half of a second, I blink and she's smiling, those eyes that I love so much crinkling at the edges. "I'm headed out to go have a chit-chat with pops. I thought I'd let you know before I left. I'll be back soon- just stay here and rest, sweet cheeks."

My lips curl at the thought of her leaving, but I nod anyway in agreement. "There's clothes on my work desk for whenever you're ready to get yourself up."

I open my mouth to respond, but instead Jinx grabs my chin, angling it upwards towards her to place a meaningful kiss to my lips. She lingers for a moment, and I don't want it to end. Her lips on mine feel more than natural, but all too soon she's pulling away and disappearing around the base of the fan.

I wish I could describe accurately what that simple interaction means to me. The fact that she waited to let me know where she was going... It makes my cheeks heat up and a dumb grin to spread across my face. My heart does a few backflips of happiness as I let my stray fingers run lightly across my lips, feeling where Jinx just was. The ghost of her presence is one that's comforting, and for a moment, my heart longs to follow her and drag her dumb ass back to bed.

Instead, I turn back into the cushions and let sleep devour me once more. I drift back into my dream state, Jinx's face being the only thing on my mind the last few moments before I'm asleep again.