Sneak Peak: Madam Momus' Niece and The Beast

Synopsis

Synopsis

Gemma Jones has always been a little reckless, but her misadventures have never caught up with her until now. At seventeen on a whim, she unknowingly married her then-boyfriend, Sasha Vasiliev.

Eight years later, she's engaged to another man but discovers her reckless past is holding her back from having her dream wedding. That and the fact that Sasha doesn't want to sign the divorce papers...

[This book is available on my profile!]

Chapter 1 - Look At This Photograph Every Time I Do, It Makes Me Laugh

"You know Beast!?" My head shot up and I found Cole holding up a photo in disbelief. His mouth was wide enough to serve as a basketball hoop, so I picked up a stale piece of popcorn and threw it in. His reaction was immediate.

"Gemma!" He whined irritably as he spat it out.

"Who the hell is Beast?" The question was barely audible through my fits of giggles. Maybe it was a bit childish that I found Cole choking on popcorn amusing, but I've always felt like a kid with him. I walked over and snatched the photo from him.

Almost immediately a wave of memories hit and made time stand still. The round edges of my vision blurred as my focus zeroed in on the captured moment in my hands. I was staring at a photo of myself laughing and my first boyfriend behind me. His arms were wrapped around my neck and he was placing a kiss on top of my head. He was swaying me from side to side, and the captured movement made the photograph a little blurry. I must've been sixteen in this picture...two years younger than Cole was now.

"One of our Rugby stars. How do you not know who Beast is? He's like a national treasure." Cole's voice brought me back to the present. Like every other boy his age, he was into sports. I on the other hand only recently learned that Christiano and Messi are not the same person.

"You mean Sasha?" I tried to say in a nonchalant tone but it came out on a shaky breath. "We dated."

It was a long time ago and not many people knew about it, but my heart was constricting like we had broken up yesterday.

"What?" Cole's eyes bulged out. "How did I not know this?"

Cole was the closest thing to a sibling I've ever had, even though we were not blood-related. Our parents were good friends so we were raised like cousins. As my first best friend, he knew everything but back then, Sasha was my secret paradise. He was the older guy from a different school, that was mysterious and sexy. He was the guy I knew my parents would flip out if they knew we were dating plus something was enchanting and alluring about no one knowing about us. It also helped that when things ended badly, I could lock the memory of him away and there were no witnesses or evidence to remind me of him. Except maybe his one friend Yesh, my friend Slade and this stupid photograph.

I faked a dismissive laugh and shoved the photo back in the box. "You were in your annoying tween years, I couldn't stand hanging out with you. Let alone tell you about my boyfriend."