Chapter 9 - The Sweet Type

Janet insisted that I go out with Kevin. While she cradled her newborn son, she told me he was single and searching. She rocked the baby in the crook of her right arm while I tried to fix the IV drip in her left.

"Don't look now but he's totally checking you out." I gave it a moment before I lifted my eyes to the glass window which showed Kevin and Eliot enjoying a cup of coffee in the hallway just outside the room. Just like Janet had said, Kevin was looking at me.

When we locked eyes he smiled and I smiled back.

"Do you remember the crush you had on him?"

I shook my head. "Do you remember the non-crush he had on me? This is stupid."

"That was high school, you were a mess."

Says the woman who had just sweat the mascara off her face and shat the bed. I shook my head again, this time scolding myself for ever thinking something so mean. Janet had just given birth.

"How nice of you," I said dryly and she laughed.

"I mean it as a compliment silly. You're drop-dead gorgeous now and no one saw it coming, use it to your advantage."

Wesley gave a soft knock on the open door and walked in. He was out of his surgical gear and back in his sexy pink scrubs. On most of the doctors I had worked with, scrubs looked a little loose but Wesley was too much man and muscle. His scrubs were always a little more...fitted. 

He grabbed Janet's chart from the foot of her bed and flipped up a few pages. His mouth was moving but I couldn't hear a word he was saying. The way the muscle in his biceps flexed every time he flipped a page, had me hypnotised. And I was basically drooly at how fast his fingers flipped the pen around. I crossed my legs at the memory of how quickly they moved in and out of my-

"Nurse Coleman?"

"Uh- what? I'm sorry." Janet and Wesley were all staring at me expectantly. My face started heating up, how long were they all watching me drool over Dr Sykes.

"I said would you mind discharging them?" he turned to Janet with a smile. "I think they're ready to play family at home. Congratulations by the way." He said nodding at the baby in her arms.

"Thank you Dr Sykes, I couldn't have done this without you."

"Please," he lifted one hand acting modestly. "It was all you."

That may have been true, but he was here for all thirteen hours being such a damn good doctor that I wanted to throw him against the wall and kiss him senselessly. Why was I so horny today? Maybe I was ovulating, and my body was begging me to get pregnant. I shivered at that thought and the horny cloud over my brain cleared. The thought of being with child at the ripe age of twenty-six sounded like a nightmare.

Eliot came to his wife's side and they were immediately cocooned in whatever family-love bubble they had going on. It was like Wesley and I just vanished.

Kevin popped his head in and asked if he could speak to me outside for a moment. I had no idea why I looked to Wesley for permission. I guess I wanted to see what his reaction would be. To my disappointment, his eyes were glued to Janet's charts. I turned my eyes to an expectant Kevin and gave a curt nod.

"You must be hungry, can I take you out for an early breakfast?" I glanced at my wrist and realised for the first time it was a few minutes to eight in the morning. I was exhausted and my feet hurt, I was trying to find a kind way to turn him down. I could smell Wesley before I could see him.

"She's exhausted. Maybe next time playboy." He was so close I could feel his chest vibrate on my back as he spoke. He placed one hand on my shoulder and I tried not to think about how wonderfully warm it felt.