"You're always the goody two shoes, thats just who you are, and I love you just the same, Elodie."

I smile sadly, knowing I won't see her for a while and hating it.

"I love you too, Soleil, so so much. You're my sister, no matter what." I take her hands in mine, giving them a squeeze.

Soleil startles me by bursting out into a crying fit. I jump, feeling panic as Fray rushes to her side.

"I didn't, I didn't mean to-" I try, Barre's hands go to my shoulders, I hold onto his fingers for comfort as my best friend continues to openly sob. She covers her face with both hands.

Fray shushes her, guiding her face to his chest as he pets her hair. He prys her fingers away from her eyes. She relents, only to wrap her arms around him, shaking with each sob.

"Do not worry, Elodie. It is not your fault. She is very sensitive. The kit is making her sick with many emotions she is not used to."

Despite his assurance, I bite my lip and want to go to her, comfort her myself as my own cries start to bubble up. I bite my fist, trying to stop myself from reacting the same way. It's not easy. I could very well break down at any moment.

Fray stares at Barre behind me, giving him a look. Since when do they communicate with facial expressions?

My mate turns me around, hands on my shoulders like usual.

"You know, it doesn't have to be this way. You always have a choice." He looks away, not wanting to meet my eyes as he clears his throat.

I feel my eyebrows knit together, my palms starting to become slick with sweat.

"Barre?" I push, and he nods.

"You don't have to be separated, if we stayed here."

"If we stayed... here?"

"Yes, here at the palace. We can live here, if that's what you would want." He relents, his voice quiet and unsure.

He doesn't want that. I don't want that.

"I don't understand. You love your cabin, your pr-property." I stutter, my brain not working properly while his offer sinks in.

This sudden discussion is making my brain go haywire.

Barre's hand goes to my face, and I look deeply into his blue and brown eyes that are so high up it hurts. The look he gives me makes me gasp.

"I do, but I love you more." He says it like it's simple, shrugging his massive, heavy shoulders. "We are partners. It should be a joint decision. We decide these things together."

I never thought I would hear something like that. That speech, that little piece of respect, it's enough to blow me away. This is something I would've never heard if I had been married on Earth. My husband would've kept me under his boot, silent and obedient.

Barre is not a human man, no, he is a Rytarian. A worthy male. A warrior. A gladiator. A partner. An equal.

More tears impossibly bubble up as I think of how sweet he really is.

"I am the luckiest girl on Rytaria." I choke out.

Barre tucks a stray piece of hair from my face as he dabs the salty tears away. His eyes are wide and worried.

"So you want to stay?"

"No, never. I love Soliel, but I want to stay in your den."

"Our den." He corrects me, and I chuckle, nodding my head frantically.