✧ Chapter 3 ✧

Start from the beginning

                                                                        --

Rainbow Dash blinked slowly, feeling the cold air around her. She sat up, in a pitch black room, looking at the covers that were half off the bed she slept on.

Even in the dark, she could tell that she was smiling at the dream she woke up from. She rolled over on her stomach until she was facing one of the pillows on her bed and squeezed it tight, feeling something flutter in her stomach. That dream that she had, really pointed out how beautiful Applejack was.. and it made Rainbow feel, weird. She breathed deeply after a few seconds of the butterfly feeling, trying to regain her composure. 'Be chill Rainbow, be cool.' she thought to herself, why was she acting so strange, dreaming like this ? Over a crush? A silly little crush? It was so unlike her.

Rainbow knew she liked girls, even from the womb, hell everyone knew, or at least she thought everyone knew. But why now? Why, after years of being best friends with AJ why did she catch feelings now? Out of the blue?

Rainbow was too stubborn to realize that it wasn't out of the blue. Every hug Applejack had given Rainbow, she felt as if she was warm inside. Something that didn't happen with any of her other friends. Every time Applejack helped her up when she fell, or called her sugarcube, every playful shove, every competitive stare, or glance, or touch, led up to the moment when she finally grasped the concept of having feelings for her closest friend.

She sighed once again, turning on her back and looking up at her popcorn ceiling. After a minute or two, she looked to her right searching for her phone. Once she grabbed it, she checked the time. It was currently 2:23 am, not even close to 5 yet. She yawned, blinking hard to wake herself up a little, and stretched out on her bed.

After, she sat up and kicked her covers off, swung her feet to the side of her bed, and made her way towards her bathroom counter. She rubbed her eyes aggressively while bending down towards the faucet to wash her crust filled eyes. 'Gross,' she thought as she washed her face. She inhaled a breath of air while smelling her morning breath in the process, and made a disgusted expression. She then brushed her teeth, and pulled some of the loose hairs off her freshly washed face.

She sluggishly walked back towards her bed and laid back down, while unlocking her phone. She pressed the messages app and scrolled to the conversation thread between her and Applejack. After a minute of looking at the old conversations between them, she unexpectedly had a small adrenaline rush. Staring at the blank typing box for a minute, she thought of what to do.

Finally, she typed something out.

'Hey'. The message read, but right after sending it Rainbow regretted even thinking about texting AJ this late at night. 'It's almost 2: 30 am, and you send a message saying 'Hey'. 'C'mon Rainbow, that's so not awesome.' Rainbow thought to herself. She moved around on her bed, mentally beating herself up because of the message she sent impulsively. "Ughh, you are so embarrassingly lame." she mumbled, as she face palmed herself.

She placed her phone face down on her mattress out of embarrassment. The room was silent for a minute, before she heard a short buzz coming from beside her. She quickly reached for her phone, forgetting the lingering emotion of embarrassment that was present a few seconds prior.

She opened her phone, and clicked on the new message Applejack had sent, not knowing what it would say.

'Hey sugarcube it's a little late, something up?' AJ responded with.

Rainbow didn't let any time go to waste after she read that message, quickly typing something back.

'No, nothing's wrong. I just can't sleep. Did I wake you?' Rainbow's message read.