44. A choice

There was a day when almost every child had to bury their parents. At least that was what most parents hoped, since the opposite was way worse in their eyes. Of course, this wasn't always the case, because some parents weren't present in their children's lives for different reasons, which fucking sucked most of the times.

I grew up believing the thoughts that my parents didn't want me. That they left me behind at the hospital because I was deformed, weird, an outcast. Because I was a monster. And while the latter might be true, my parents didn't actually leave me behind, simply because I didn't have any.

Or so I thought.

As the higher powers in this world, in other words Jorden, created me for their own gain and left me to my own defenses immediately after, they made sure I ended up with a man, otherwise known as the greatest detective the kingdoms had ever seen, who I would call my father.

Now Alasdair Maverick Ashford was the greatest blessing of my life. He was stubborn as fuck, highly intelligent and he was there for me throughout my many ups and downs. Even though society loathed me, he continued to love me with all he had and he raised me to be just like him, a strong, independent person who stood up for their beliefs instead of blindly following those of others. Up until this day I had no idea what I had done to deserve a father such as him, but I sure as hell was grateful for it. Without him, his unconditional love and his ruthless training, I wouldn't have made it this far and I wouldn't have been introduced to the fabulous worlds of Indiana Jones and Middle Earth.

I knew that one day, the day would come where I had to say goodbye to him. When he was old, wrinkly and grey, fully retired just enjoying his old days, where I would've provided and cared for him until the very end because he would've done the same thing for me.

That one of my biggest fears would come true this quickly, was something I didn't expect. Days had passed by and every day ended only for a new one to begin again and yet I didn't heal. Instead the loss and rage became worse with each passing day, knowing I could never speak with him again, get one of his bear hugs or just sit comfortably in his presence without saying a thing. Sometimes it still felt like he could suddenly walk into a room unharmed.

It wouldn't happen though, I knew better, because today was the day I had buried my father. This wasn't some fairytale. The world was a cruel, dreadful place and most of its inhabitants were full of shit. It enraged me beyond understanding that there were people out there who took him from me, who took him from this world, all for their own gain.

Because he was truly pure, genuinely innocent, and he would've made this world a better and safer place for everyone. Now he was gone, just like that, and I was going to avenge him and the late king and queen. 

A knock on the office door pulled me out of my thoughts and I leaned back in the chair with a sigh. "You can come in, Mr. Anders."

He opened the door with caution and stepped in, holding multiple binders and files with both arms. He cleared his throat anxiously. "I'm sorry for disrupting your mourning, Your Majesty. I know the funeral was this morning, but the matters of state have been piling up ever since the previous King's demise and it's starting to cause problems. I've been collecting it over the past months since the generals aren't very capable."

"It's fine. Now what did I tell you about titles?" I said blankly, motioning for him to put down the things he was holding.

Your Majesty. It felt strange being called that, especially when it came from him, a man I genuinely respected, whom was way older than me with way more life experience, whom had helped many kings.

"It's a habit, I'm sorry." He divided the stack of binders and files into five 'smaller', but still really big ones and placed them down neatly on the desk. He moved over to the left side of the desk and started with the first pile. "Here we have information about the investigation. Second, this is spy intel on the other kingdoms. Third, you have spy intel on this kingdom. Coming in fourth is the largest pile on other affairs regarding the law, taxes, inflation, the housing market, healthcare, military development, inhabitant restrictions, crime, special request and so forth. Lastly, this is the second biggest file regarding prisoners."