26. Dinner party

Opening my eyes the next morning, I noticed I was completely rolled up in my blankets. I entangled myself and checked the time; 11 am. My eyes widened, that was way too late. I shot up from my bed, waking up my father in the process, and walked over to my bathroom to freshen up, ignoring the remainders of blood left on the tiles. I went to my closet and changed into a workout outfit, I was supposed to train with the warriors after all.

"Where do you think you're going?" My father asked, crossing his arms firmly.

A speech was coming, I could feel it in my bones.

"I'm going to train." I shrugged, walking over to the door.

He moved himself in front of it, fully aware I could easily move him out of the way, but he didn't give a fuck. "No you're not. I think you should have a rest day today."

"I'll have a rest day," I said blankly, a small smile forming on his face because I agreed with him. "when I'm dead."

The smile died along with his patience and he sighed. "I know you prefer to act like you're fine, keeping your emotions to yourself, ignoring them and moving on. You see it as a way of strength to protect yourself, but you can't ignore what you've been through Iola, not this time. There's is no way in hell that didn't affect you mentally, I saw how you looked at yourself in the mirror. Bottling everything up will break you eventually."

He was right. Of course he was, he knew me all too well. I was fully aware of the consequences which would likely happen if I kept everything to myself. Slowly, over time, my emotions would destroy me. The only problem was whenever I did let them out, they combined with my powers, hurting a lot of people in the process. Up until now, I had only severely hurt people who deserved it, but the line between guilty and innocent was a thin one and with my powers growing, so did the odds of me accidentally slipping up. 

I couldn't take that risk, I wouldn't. If I had to choose between bottling it up and destroying myself or letting it out and destroying innocents, I would always choose to destroy myself.

I looked him in the eyes, trying to come across as steady, controlled and emotionless as possible. "What do you want me to do dad? Huddle myself up into a ball and cry all day? I promise you I'm fine. Even if I wasn't, there are more important things going on than my mental health. We can't afford to waste any more time here, you have a very important investigation to complete and yesterday was prove that, regardless of it not being the case in the werewolf kingdom, you do need my protection here. In order to know what I'm up against, I need to know how the warriors think and fight, so let me figure that out today for the sake of your own safety."

He couldn't argue with that, because I made some solid points. He promised he would be safe in his assigned office and let me leave to go train. The warriors trained multiple times a day in a nearby golden arena.

Haimon insisted on going with me, so I walked a couple meters in front of him, with royal security walking beside the both of us. I didn't know if it was to protect us from potential attackers or to protect him from me, but I didn't care either way. My eyes fell upon the box, which was now closed off, and I realized it was Tuesday. The application period had closed late last night, meaning the kings and generals had to choose a top ten of fighters out of which they would select the final fighters for the conquest this week.

Haimon performed a small jog to catch up with me and grabbed my shoulder. "I don't think it's wise you train with them today."

I slapped his hand off me, making the security take a step closer, and raised my eyebrows. "Please, do elaborate."

"Word has spread about last night, and they're scared of you." He said softly, nearly sounding desperate.

"I'll just observe them then to see if they have better fighting skills than you." I stated, continuing to walk again. "Oh and Haimon? You're a king, for fucks sake try and speak like one. It's like the king I met at the war table has been completely flushed down the toilet. Ironic, considering he's a piece of shit."