Interlude-Kevin Kaslana Memories

Începe de la început

The two of you were stopped on the way out by a man dressed in black. He told the two of you that he was on a mission to find talented individuals that would aid their cause. You were one of those scouted individuals and he had been sent to keep you out of harm's way. Kevin, who didn't wish to part with you, volunteered to become a soldier for the organization that people soon came to know as MOTH.

That was how the two of you became entangled with the war against humanity's greatest foe, Honkai.

ii.

Humanity proceeded to fight against the Honkai, managing victory after victory.

Then came the 7th, who wielded powers that were unparalleled to her predecessors. To combat this particular herrscher, a project was proposed.

It was the Soldier Project, suggested by Dr. MEI. It consisted of inserting a gene construct, ICHOR, into a person's body, hoping to grant the person superhuman powers and innate Honkai resistance. The chances of survival were extremely low. One of the many reasons you strongly object to the project.

"Kevin, you could die." You tried to sway the white-haired male from participating in the Soldier Project. "The chances of you surviving are little to none."

Kevin understood your concern. The chances of survival were practically none, but it was the only way to move forward.

He smiles at you. "Don't worry, I won't die."

His smile that once brought you solace made you doubt.

You saw how little you could do to change his mind and reluctantly gave him your support. You wished him the best of luck and pressed a kiss to his lips, savoring the warmth provided by the young soldier. You had not known that it would be your last.

He survived despite all odds and won humanity another victory. However, it didn't bring joy.

He returned to you unharmed, but not without cost. Dr. MEI told you of the bad news. As a result of the experiment, Kevin's body temperature had dropped so he could no longer hold you without hurting you.

Thinking back, perhaps that's when everything fell apart.

iii.

"She could have killed my sister out there!" You exclaimed at Kevin, who stood across from you, despising how he took your words voluntarily. "Why do you continue defending her?"

Kevin recounted every argument the two of you had and today was the worst.

After receiving news of your sister's survival, you went down to wait for her by the entrance. When she arrived, you lunged at her while whispering words of relief and gratitude. The moment you settled down, she told you of her new circumstance—that she was a MANTIS. Confused and distraught, you went to seek out answers to explain Fu Hua's circumstance and discover that MOTH had sent her out on a mission to find more qualified MANTISes under the pretense that they were doing a field test for the 10th divine key. In other words, the head scientist, Dr. MEI who was in charge of the so-called test, deliberately sent her and other squad members out, knowing full well that they could have been killed. All because she desired to create more 'MANTISes'.

"(Y/N)..." He said after you had calmed down. "I'm sorry."

"..."

He had apologized to you on several occasions, but this time he truly felt apologetic. You had been so happy when you reunited with your sister and you had been so scared to lose her. Kevin had vowed to protect you.

However, he did nothing but contribute to your pain.

You didn't say anything to him, only stared at him with hallow eyes that once looked at him full of trust. Your eyes brimmed with unshed tears.