| chapter seventeen |

My back hit the wall, and Rosalie's mouth was on mine; a snarl was passed through our lips as my urge to kill suddenly changed its focus into another intense but safer need

The edges of my eyes were still dark when I spun the two of us around and slammed my hands next to Rosalie's head. I could feel my fingers making indents in the wall.

Our rough kiss didn't stop until I could think clearly again. Slowly pulling back from my Rose, I realized what had happened. "Rose?" I whispered as she moved my hair from my face.

Her eyes moved over my shaking form as her mouth pressed in a straight line, I couldn't tell what she was feeling, but I knew whatever it was, it wasn't good.

"Alice, your sunglasses" was the only thing Rosalie said as she took the dark shades and placed them over my face. I guess the contacts had dissolved during my frenzy.

Amber's panicked face appeared out of the crowd. "What happened?" she questioned as a guilty-looking Alice and Rosalie stood by my side, each holding an arm as they ushered me outside.

Getting another whiff of blood, I felt myself vibrate as I let out another growl once again. Alice covered my nose as we ran towards the car. "Drive!" Amber pleaded as Rosalie jumped in.

The ride home was faster than the ride there, and I guess that had something to do with me being a lot less calm this time around.

My mind buzzed with thoughts of chasing the scent back to the mall where I could still track the woman to, then a flash of guilt hit as I thought about my first kiss with Rosalie.

It was supposed to be romantic, something I would recount for years to come. A sonnet of my own love for my soulmate, but instead, it was the product of a different kind of lust.

Alice and Amber were repeating calming things as we drove, but it was the panic and dread on my soulmate's face that kept me in my blood rage. I did that to her, and it was unforgivable.

I knew she was probably thinking of the repercussions of my actions and what would happen if the Volturi ever found out that I was unstable in the presence of humans.

Skidding to a stop, Rosalie didn't even manage to get the car in the garage before I bounded from the car. My heckles raised as I calculated any threats in my vicinity.

Letting out a loud growl, I was met with not just one but three of my new brothers all standing side by side, almost waiting to see if I would fight or cool off.

Edward was the first to try and talk me down, but with a roar, I lept. Having already read my mind, met me halfway as he and Emmett grabbed my arms.

Jasper calmly stood before me as he tried to bring me back to lucidity; my undead heart gave a slight and unusual pang when met with the thought of hurting the empath.

"What happened?" Esme gasped when she came from the house with Carlisle in tow, the blond's eyes roaming over each of us and holding Esme back when she tried to step forward.