OO8.

❝ the eighth chapter

❝ the eighth chapter. ❞

୨┈┈┈┈┈ ✧ ┈┈┈┈┈୧

Inhaling the calming fresh air with a smile, Mallory let out a sigh of relaxation. They had managed to escape Trick Tower, although just barely, and were now listening to the directions of the prison warden. Lippo flashed them a mischievous grin.

"Congratulations on escaping the Tower, everyone. All that remains now are the Fourth Phase and the Final Phase." He said slyly. Mallory stared silently, mind wandering slightly.

Suddenly, Lippo pointed to the island behind him. "The Fourth Phase will take place right over there on Zevil Island. Now, let's proceed." With a snap of his fingers, a bald man wheeled out a small box on a stand and placed it next to Lippo.

"To begin with, I will need each of you to draw lots now." The crowd burst into hushed murmurs, asking each other what was going on in confusion. Pokkle furrowed his brows, quietly raising a hand as he bit his lip.

"Draw lots for what? What will that decide?"

Lippo smirked in a way that made Mallory grimace.

"Who you hunt, and who hunts you." He said before pointing towards the box and explaining. "In this box are exactly 25 numbered cards, which means, one of the numbered cards will correspond with your badge."

Mallory immediately took off her tag. That doesn't sound good...

"Now, each of you will draw a card in the order you exited the tower. All right, which of you was first?" And thus the card drawing began.

After a few minutes, Lippo glanced over the murmuring crowd with his usual smirk, eyes narrowing slightly. "Has everyone drawn? Very well. Now if you would please go ahead and remove the sticker."

Everyone simultaneously peeled their cards at the command.

"The number you see is your target," Lippo explained, causing everyone to gasp and place their cards to their chests. Mallory furrowed her brows and glanced at the number she was assigned. She looked around in hopes of finding the person, but everyone had immediately covered their tags. She sweatdropped with a smile.

Well, I figured as much. She thought before looking to see Gon fidgeting in place next to her. He seemed to be incredibly nervous for some reason.

"This box has recorded the number that each of you drew. Each card was tallied and then stored in memory. So if you like, you're free to dispose of the cards. It makes no difference at this point." Lippo grinned. "The objective is to steal your target's ID badge."

"Oh, good. So we don't have to kill each other then." A participant mumbled in relief.

The examiner shrugged. "The method is up to you. Procure the badge however you see fit. But if you kill your target, you can take their badge easily."