30. Two Weeks to Switch the Headphones

"I think I'm in love."

Melissa sighed and threw herself on my bed, a far-away smile on her face. Good thing we'd managed to convince her parents to let her sleep over at my place tonight, because she was definitely drunk.

But not on alcohol, oh no. As Melissa had put it, she was drunk on love.

"You've said that already." I rolled my eyes, pulling out a pair of PJs and throwing them at her.

Melissa caught them like a professional baseball player, sitting back up and looking at me somberly.

"I mean it. It was love at first sight, but then when she bent down and kissed my hand before we left I knew she was the one." She sighed, stared at the back of her right hand, and then brought it to her lips to kiss it, before dreamily falling back on the bed.

"Alrighty, Juliet, maybe we could slow down with the L word," I said, chuckling at her.

In a way, I was glad she was finally into someone other than Lily. A part of me worried it would take college for her to finally let go of that love that wasn't meant to be. Turned out, all it needed was a college student.

That might be a problem in itself, considering Tara was going to be college-bound eventually, even if she did manage to come home early for the holidays. However, I wasn't about to rain on her parade and mention that. Melissa deserved at least one night of unrestrained happiness.

"And get off my bed with those dirty clothes. I gave you PJs for a reason," I said, attempting to roll her off the bed as she laughed.

"Sir, yes, Sir!" Melissa jumped off the bed and saluted me before she started changing.

This was going to be a long, sleepless night.

"What?" I snapped at Melissa when I saw her staring as we walked down to her car

"Nothing, I didn't say anything." She raised her hands in the air in defense, but a smirk was more than clear on her face.

A smirk that made me almost turn around and go back home because I knew exactly what she was smirking about.

For the first time since getting them, I was going to school with my pastel pink headphones wrapped around my neck.

And a part of me was convinced that had been a huge mistake.

On the way to school, Melissa kept holding a monologue about everything that happened last night and how amazing Tara was, which was fine with me. My mind was too much of a mess to be able to actually participate in a conversation with more than a 'mhm' and 'aha'.

Noah Archer kissed me last night. And then I kissed Noah Archer. And then there was kissing that I couldn't even remember who had initiated until another crashing sound forced us to go back downstairs.