Chapter 13-Tears

"I don't want to be friends, Y/n!" You took a few steps back, a hurt expression on you face.

"O-oh... Right of course.. Sorry, it was stupid of me to think otherwise..." You turned to walk away, only starting to run when she called after you. You heard her continue to yell as you ran towards the house. You should've known, you really were just a bother. You didn't really know when you started crying as you hid yourself away in a corner of the parlor, burying your head in a book, trying to look preoccupied as you just thought about what happened. Barron was right, she was just using you, she never liked you. But why on earth did it hurt so bad?

"Fuck!" Alma cursed despite herself. She couldn't believe she'd messed that up as she ran after you, almost tripping what felt like a million times in her heels. She got the the house and began rushing around looking for you. And only found you because she heard soft crying coming from the parlor. "Y/n?" The crying stopped, she sighed and walked over to where you'd hidden yourself. "Y/n, I'm sorry, you misunderstood, I shouldn't have worded it like that."

"Worded what, huh? I get it, you hate me, it's reasonable. I hate me too..." You closed the random book you'd grabbed and tossed it aside, while trying to stop crying. Alma grabbed your face in her hands you make you look at her.

"Listen to me. I don't want to be your friend, I want to be more than that, not less." You looked confused so she elaborated. "I can't help help but love you, even though I try not to." Your eyes widened and you probably looked like a gaping fish. "Y/n..? I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have..."

You cut her off by lunging forward to wrap her in a tight hug. "You scared me!" She let out a breathless laugh as she hugged back, just relieved you weren't upset anymore. Everything made so much more sense now. That weird feeling in your stomach every time you were around the woman. The burning feeling in your cheeks whenever she complimented you or used certain terms of endearment. "I love you to, Alma..."

She pulled back a little to look in your eyes. "You do.?" You nodded, giving her a small smile. "Can I... kiss you?" You just grinned before leaning forward to meet her lips. Oh damn, you've been missing out your entire life. After separating you just held each other in your arms, smiling to yourselves.

"Does this mean you two are finally together?" You separated, wide eyed, looking around but seeing no one.

"Millard!" You just laughed as Miss Peregrine scolded him. "Go put on some clothes!"

"Well are you?!" He pushed. Alma sort of just looked at you in question. What a wonderful way to  be asked out. You shrugged, smiling, and gave a small nod.

"Yes, Millard, we are. Now go and get dressed. And don't you tell anyone!" She had to yell the last bit as he began to run away. She sighed and leaned into the wall. "He's going to tell everyone."

—————

After Alma finished making lunch, which you weren't allowed to help with, she set the table before calling everyone down to eat. You sat next to her as the children started filing into the room, whispering to each other as they glanced at you and Miss Peregrine. Oh yeah, they definitely knew.

They were oddly quiet during the meal until Miss Peregrine sighed. "Okay, it's clear to me that you all know. So I'd just like to make an official announcement. Y/n and I are, well, dating." She shook her head at the fact not one person at the table looked surprised.

"FINALLY!" Olive yelled. This made the rest of the children begin yelling out congratulations or just yelling in general. You let out a silent laugh at the screams and questions, but didn't really answer any of them.

"Alright, settle down. We can answer a few questions after lunch!"

—————

Now it's just the matter of what to torture them with next!