Chapter 7-Fire

After that embarrassing situation you and Alma made your way downstairs. You had what you thought was a great idea. A way to deal with your father that wouldn't put anyone else in danger. You'd have to leave the loop soon, you were only putting people in more danger just by being there.

You were snapped out of your thoughts by a hand on your shoulder. Alma was looking at a few envelopes in her other hand as she sat down at the large dinning room table next to you. "I'd almost forgot how quickly mail travels in the peculiar world. I've already gotten responses from two ymbrynes." She opened them each, reading them over. "It seems Miss Avocet is willing to house a few of the ymbrynes who no longer have any loop or children. And Miss Quail is willing to take in two."

"Oh, so five will be leaving?" Alma nodded.

"Seven of us have no children now, it seems finding them homes will be easier as they wouldn't be bringing along children that would also have to be taken care of. As for the other four of them, they'll likely have to just make new loops." She paused for a moment, setting down the letters and standing up. "I need to make breakfast. Could you go and fetch Miss Swallow, Robin, Kestrel, Raven, and Canary? We can get them situated will Miss Avocet and Quail."

You agreed, getting up and leaving the room to go and retrieve the ymbrynes, three of which still didn't like you much for almost killing Alma. Though the gladly followed you to the kitchen when you told them Miss Peregrine had some knees for them. You'd left the six of them in the kitchen to talk about who's going where and when as you planned.

You walked around the upstairs of the house, where no one would be at this time of day. You found a backpack and grabbed it. You then went to Alma's room to take two sets of clothing, that of course didn't belong to you but oh well. The clothes you'd arrived at the loop in weren't ripped like some of the ymbrynes had been, but you honestly didn't know where they'd gone when Miss Peregrine took them away to be washed.

You hid the bag under the bed and left the room. You didn't want anyone to know you planned on leaving, especially Alma as she'd think it's stupid and reckless. And you didn't want anyone to try and talk you out of it. Once downstairs you just went outside, trying to avoid everyone, we'll avoid the older kids after last night. You climbed back into your tree and just tried to relax, watching distant trees sway in the wind, the birds flying overhead, the ocean waves hitting against the rocks at a nearby beach.

—————

You weren't sure how long you were in the tree before people started to come looking for you. Yelling your name and checking bushes, though never looking up at the trees overhead. The children searched to no avail, it wasn't until after the ymbrynes came to help that you were found. Alma, knowing full well you like to hide in trees, turned into a bird and went straight to the same one as before, landing on the branch you sat on.

Che changed back and gripped the branch under her, digging her nails into it so as to keep from falling. She smiled at you and reached a hand out to rest on your shoulder, careful not to lose balance and fall. "I think I'm getting déjà vu." She chuckled at your joke and looked at the people below. Some had given up searching and were now occupied with other things, but a few still looked.

"I hope you know you missed breakfast and lunch. It's almost time for dinner." She sighed, looking at her children on the ground.

"Oh, sorry. Would you like any help cooking? I'm rather good if I do say so myself." You said proudly.

"Oh are you?" She looked at you smiling with a raised eyebrow. "I suppose you can help if you promise not to burn down the kitchen."

You laughed and leaned over to wrap her in a one armed hug. "Alright, promise!"

"Alright, I'll meet you there. Or should I say, beat you there." She grinned and leaned over a little closer, quickly giving you a small kiss on the cheek before turning into a bird and flying off towards the house.

You felt frozen for a good minute. "W-wha-what..?" You spoke to yourself, letting go of the branch to wrap your arms around yourself. Accidentally losing balance and falling to the ground, hitting a shit ton of branches on the way down. After reaching to ground you just laid there for a good moment, staring up at the tree you'd fallen from.

"Y/n?" Olive now stood over you, glancing up at the tree. "So that's where you've been all this time? Wish I'd known that sooner..." She glanced around before hold out a hand to help you up, which you took. "Miss Peregrine told us she'd forgiven you. Emma and I have as well, though I'm sure our approval isn't one of your main concerns. I'd stay clear of Enoch for a while as he's really upset right now."

"Oh, thanks for the heads up. I, uh, should get going." You began walking away.

"I saw." She paused as you stopped walking. "I saw, what Miss Peregrine did.." you turned around to look at the girl, eyes wide and fighting the blush creeping into your cheeks. But it was only from embarrassment of course. "Just, promise me, you're not going to hurt her. Anymore..." She mumbled the last word, though you still heard it.

"I won't. I promise." You were quick to respond. "Of course, I'd never hurt her. We're friends now anyway, and I'm not in my fathers side anymore." She raised an eyebrow at the word 'friend' but brushed it off and walked away.

You stared walking, headed to the front door, until a familiar caw caught your attention. You looked up at the sky, you sucked in a breath, trying not to scream when you saw a vulture, circling you overhead. You were quick to head inside walking to the kitchen. You'd have to ask Alma if that bird was there everyday, and if it wasn't...

"You certainly took your sweet time." She spoke when you walked into the room, not even turning around to look at you. "You can start cooking that piece of steak for Claire." She said, pointing to the stove where the piece sat atop a pan.

You began to do what you thought was a wonderful job. Well until the pan caught of fire and you didn't know what to do. Alma was focusing on chopping vegetables and not you. You grabbed a cup and filled it with water before pouring it on the pan. Though that only made the fire worse somehow. Now seemed like a good time to start yelling. "God damn you listen to me and stop!" Miss Peregrine turned to you, confused, well until she saw the fire. She sighed and grabbed a lid, putting it over the pan and stopping the fire. "How in the world?" You questioned as she went back to her vegetables.

"I thought you said you could cook, dear?"

"Well clearly, I was wrong! I thought years of microwave dinners would get me further with cooking than that." You shrugged.

—————

Oooooo spookay vulture- I'm going insane