FIVE.

a/n: mentions of abuse, sexual content

"I was thinking we could visit a different island next week," Rafe told Bexley at dinner. "I like it here, but maybe we could stay at a different resort for a week or two. If you're getting bored of this one."

The two of them sat in the expensive restaurant across from the hotel. Bexley was in a new expensive dress Rafe bought for her the day prior, with new earrings he picked up the same day. He was suddenly showering her with gifts, more than usual.

But despite all his generosity, she felt unwell. Bexley played with her fork, twirling it around in her pasta, not eating it.

"Are you?" Rafe asked.

She glanced up at him, her mind blanking. "Hm?" She had no idea what he asked.

He repeated, "Are you bored of the resort here?"

Anxiety rushed through her. Bored? No, not bored. Homesick? Yes. Very, very homesick.

Another full week passed since they visited the waterfalls. Since they rented the brown BMW, and the two of them had sex in it. The day after wasn't too bad. She felt powerful, actually, like she reclaimed a part of herself and wasn't scared anymore. But then she realized it just made things worse. She felt ashamed of herself, ashamed of she did.

Honestly, she'd rather be traumatized for almost being assaulted in that car, than being ashamed for fucking her boyfriend in it. Not that it was the sex specifically that was shameful, but the fact she did it only to try curing herself of a different emotion. She wasn't stupid, she knew people had sex for reasons other than love but...it felt so icky trying to force the act when she clearly wasn't turned on.

Rafe didn't seem to notice anything different with her. He seemed happier, actually. He'd never been sweeter. Bexley loved Rafe like this. And she wished she didn't have to put a change in the relationship. He didn't deserve it.

But she didn't want to stay in Hawaii any longer.

Guilt overcame her as she realized she'd be ruining their perfect getaway, the one that made her forget all the death she had to go through. But she had to. She was starting to feel unhappy here.

Rafe had asked her if she was bored, and she realized that he was still waiting for an answer.

Here was her chance. It was now or never. She had to be honest tonight.

Bexley cleared her throat. She spoke as delicately as possible. "I'm not bored...but it has felt like we've been here a long time."

Rafe nodded. "Okay. Yeah. I'll look up some new resorts when we get back to the room."

She bit her lip and quickly said, "I don't know if you have to do that."

He kept eating his food like normal. She envied the fact this was a casual night for him, while it was nothing but stress for her. "Why, you got somewhere specific in mind?"