TWENTY ONE.

tw: violence, slight sexual content

"Stay here," Rafe told Bexley, propping the bike against a tree in Barry's yard. "I'll be right back."

"Wait," she said. She grabbed hold of Rafe. "I need to call JJ to see if my mom's at his house."

"What?" He didn't like the sound of that at all.

She fumbled for her phone in her back pocket, handing it to him. She took a deep breath. "I need to call JJ. Unblock him."

The words came out so quickly. She didn't know what she wanted to happen. She hoped she'd be able to call JJ, but at the same time she hoped she was blocked from his phone, and that the accusation from earlier wasn't true.

Rafe began to sweat. "You want me to-what?"

"Unblock him," she said. "I don't know how. You do it."

She spoke so confidently, but she was eagerly hoping she was wrong. She just wanted Rafe to say 'what the hell are you talking about? Take it up with that pogue, I can't fix it' or something like that.

But he didn't. He just stared at her. It's like...he was trying to think up what to say, or trying to think about how to lie.

"Bexley-"

No. He'd waited too long. He would've denied it by now if he didn't know what she was talking about.

Fury welled inside her.

"Unblock him!"

Rafe hesitated, the phone in his hand. He glanced at her once, seeing the seriousness in her face. He gulped again. Bexley watched him touch her screen a few times.

He handed it back to her. He wouldn't meet her eyes as he said, "I'll go check inside."

Bexley looked at her screen. That message saying the number was unable to be contacted was gone.

She swore all her breath left her lungs.

He really did it. Rafe really blocked JJ.

When?

She shook her head. No time to think about it. She dialed the number. The big answered with a surprised tone.

"...Bexley James?"

"JJ," Bexley said, beyond relieved he picked up, and the confrontation with Rafe was not for nothing. "Are you home?"

"I am." She heard a smile. "You gonna come visit-"

"Is my mom there?"

A pause.

"Your mom? No...Is she not home?"

"No! I don't know where she is!"

God, where the hell else could Bexley look?

"She's not here. And I haven't seen my dad since all that shit with Rafe. I doubt your mom found him." Another pause. "Do you want me to come down? I can help you look for her."