forty two.

tw: heavy physical violence, heavy mentions of sexual assault (if you ever feel unsure if you can read something because of triggers, you can always DM me and I can summarize the chapter so you can decide if you want to read it or skip it)

a/n: this chapter takes place a week after the party and slowly goes through flashbacks. Let me know if this writing style is too confusing

*****

'Have you seen Joshua Richards?'

Bexley stared at the poster intensely. Below the large, bolder letters was a photo of Josh. It was a nice picture, one probably taken by his mom. He was dressed nicely, formally. Then, below the photo was a bunch of information. His height, his weight, his eye color, hair color.

When he was last seen.

A week ago.

A week ago, Saturday night, at a party.

He said goodbye to his friends, and they watched him leave the house. He hasn't been home, or seen by anyone, since.

Had it really been a week? The party almost felt like yesterday.

The sight of the boy made her stomach churn.

Joshua Richards. What an innocent smile for such a cruel boy. Beautiful eyes that sent shivers down her spine.

The posters were all over the boardwalk, Bexley realized. She reached up, grabbing the one taped to a power pole in front of her. Her hands shook as she took hold of it. She turned, and hurried back to the beach.

Rafe sat in a beach chair, sunglasses on, head tilted towards the sun. He was tanning, and relaxing. As if nothing happened at all. Like it was just a normal beach day.

That was the point, right? Why Rafe let Bexley call Wheezie up and invite her to the beach to finally practice surfing again, because they were acting normal?

Wheezie was in the water, out of earshot, as Bexley came back from the bathrooms. Rafe had been helping the two of them practice surfing, but Bexley kept wiping out. She couldn't focus on anything except for the reason for this poster. Bexley sat down next to Rafe, nudging him.

"Rafe," she breathed. She grabbed his arm, shaking him. He frowned, pushing his glasses up, and looking over.

"What?"

She gulped, and handed him the poster. "These are everywhere," she told him, her voice frigid. "Everywhere, Rafe. I went to the bathroom up on the boardwalk, and-and people were looking at them-"

"I thought I told you to take Wheezie to the bathroom if you go. Jesus, I shut my eyes for two seconds-"

"People were taking pictures of it."