FORTY FIVE.

tw: mentions of death, mentions of drug overdose and drug usage

Rafe didn't know what to do. Or what to say. He just sat still, and silent. Impatient.

His father was on the phone in front of him. He was in Ward's office. The house was so familiar, it didn't feel like he'd been kicked out of it for so long. Sarah sat next to Rafe. She had on a nice black dress, one that was no doubt bought for this specific occasion.

Rose wore something new as well. She looked elegant and put together. She was fixing a bouquet of flowers on the edge of his father's desk.

The only one of their family not in the room was Wheezie, who was still getting dressed upstairs. John B was in the living room, dusting or doing some other meaningless task Rose put him up to.

"Alright, thank you," Ward said into the phone. "Yes, I appreciate it...Alright...Bye now." He hung up the phone.

"Food's on its way?" Rose asked, finishing with the flowers and looking over at him.

Ward nodded. "It'll be here shortly." He took a pen out of his drawer, beginning to write something down.

Sarah spoke up. "I still don't get why we're hosting this."

Rose hissed, "Sarah. Have some empathy."

"I'm not saying it's not nice," Sarah told them. "But why are we hosting? Didn't Bexley's mom...hate dad?"

Ward looked up quickly and asked, "Who told you that?"

"Rafe."

Rafe felt uncomfortable under the new eyes on him.

Ward sighed, like it should have been expected Rafe was spreading the information. He chose not to comment on her words.

"It's the right thing to do," Ward insisted. "Bexley's house isn't big enough for her mother's wake. Ours is. We're hosting."

Rafe stared out the window, not speaking. His eyes kept glancing to the clock, wondering when she would get here.

"Does that mean he's back?" Sarah asked, nodding over to Rafe. The boy rolled his eyes. He couldn't handle her annoying questions today.

"Your brother will be attending the wake, but...no. He's still not allowed back in this house afterwards." Ward then said, "I haven't seen the changes I needed to see."

Rafe let out a low, unamused laugh. "Changes..."

They think nothing's changed for him?

Everything had changed for him. He glanced at the clock again. When the fuck was Bexley getting here?

Sarah let out a low, "Yeah, I don't think you ever will."

"Can you stop being a bitch for fucking two seconds?" Rafe snapped at his sister, his limit being hit before the day even started.