About 10 to 20 minutes pass and we've been out of the central part of town for a bit now. it's only been forestry down these roads. i've been dozing off during most of the drive listening to eddie's music play quietly in the back. it was a peaceful drive. i felt calm and i haven't felt that in days. it's nice being in eddie's presence even if we aren't talking. it's weird. i don't know, i just feel safe around him. "almost there." he says. "almost where? we're literally in the middle of nowhere." i state strongly with a laugh. "you'll see. trust me, it's perfect. either way, you'll enjoy it because you get to be the little pothead that you are." he gives me an asshole smirk. "oh fuck you, eddie munson. like you're not the supplier for every single stoner at our school." we both laugh as he pulls onto the side of the road next to what looked to be miles of forest.

he hops out and runs to the other side of his van to open the door for me. before i step out, i pass a look of confusion to eddie. "are you taking me here to murder me?" i say and look at him with a slight smile. "maybe." he says and then closes the car door and proceeds to walk towards the trees. i didn't move. even though i know eddie would never hurt me, i had doubt about this. he turns to look at me, expecting me to be right behind him but when he sees me waiting by the van, his facial expression changed. "hey." he walks back up to me, close. we were no more than 2 feet apart. "i promise, nothing bad is going to happen to you. you're safe. you can trust me." he says it calmly with a comforting and sincere look. i look up at him straight in the eyes. "do you trust me?" he asks. like it was a genuine question. not like he was gaslighting or manipulating me by saying that, like if i didn't trust him i'd be wrong or something. he was truly asking. did i trust him? when i looked in his eyes, i saw someone that would never hurt me. i felt safe with him.

"i trust you."

we swapped sincere looks and he held out his hand for me to take. i looked at his hand reaching out and then back up at him. "this better be good, munson." i grab his hand and he immediately starts leading me into the woods. slowly we made our way deeper. he held my hand the whole time. i assumed he would let it go as soon as we really entered the woods. but he held onto it. almost like he was letting me know that i'm protected.

it made me feel protected.

"we are almost there." they say, looking back at me. "i think this is gonna be worth your while, y/n." i lightly chuckle behind them. "it better be." i feel the branches snap under each step. i look a small space ahead and notice an opening in the trees coming up in front of us. eddie takes my hand a little tighter as he leads me out of the trees and in the open space. "what the dick is this muns-" i trail off as my head turns up to come face to face with "the hawkins water tower? no fucking way munson. no fucking way." it stood tall in front of me. it was ginormous. of course he was taking me here. of course. "come on. it'll be fun. there's a surprise waiting at the top." he says as he steps closer to it. "are you fucking crazy, there's no fucking way i am climbing to the top of this. i don't even know how we could even do that." i ramble out. he then points to the ladder that leads to the top. it had a cage around it that continued all the way up. "no. absolutely not. you want me to die?" i say motioning my hands with my words. "listen. if you don't want to do it then you don't wanna do it. i can take you somewhere else less cool and we can smoke there. but aren't you even a little bit curious on what's waiting for you at the top?" he smiles at me gently. it's hard to say no to that face. he was so comforting and i did feel safe. "don't feel pressured to do something you don't wanna do. but you can trust me." he said with a smile. not the cocky smile he usually has. this was real.

"i hate you." i laugh out while walking up to him and the ladder. "after you, malady." he says as i start climbing up. i hear him step up under me and we both climb. it was tiring. but eventually we hit the top and i pull myself up to the floor.

i reach out my hand and help eddie up to where i am

i reach out my hand and help eddie up to where i am. "so what's the surprise. why are we up here?" i shrugged impatiently. "for this." he then turns and looks out from the railing. i step up next to him and then i see it. the entire town.

all of hawkins. i could see the school. i could see town hall. i could see my own neighborhood. the morning sun was hidden behind white clouds and the town looked beautiful. i never thought i would think that about hawkins. but i could see the people walking in the streets. going into stores and living their lives. everything seems so small.

"it's weird, right? to see hawkins from this point of view." he says calmly. "yeah." i whisper.

"so this is what you came up here to show me?" i turn my head to look up at him. he snickers and then slips out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket. he takes two out and offers me one with his hand. i take it and slip it in between my lips. "you gotta light?" i ask with my lips still gripping the cig. he passes me a lighter and i inhale on the flame, lighting it. eddie leans forward to rest his forearms on the railing. "sometimes i wonder why anything matters when we are all that small." he says. it took me a second to process what he said. and when i did, i turned my face towards his. "i get it. it's like why does anything i do matter when the world is so fucking big and i'm that small." i say and lean forward next to him. he looks to me. he has a slight smile on his face and takes a hit of his cigarette. "but what we do does matter." i say. trying to be hopeful and comfort him. "nothing i do ever matters." he says and he even smiles when he said it. "yes it does. it matters to me." i state. the tension turns and i feel my face go a little pale. "i mean the fact that a second ago i was in school. feeling the worst i've felt in a long time and now i'm above the entire town, smoking with you. that means something." i see his sad smile slowly turn into a genuine one. "thanks." he says. he sounded choked up. "man, sorry i ruined the mood." he laughs out shakily. "nah, you didn't ruin anything." i say taking another hit of my cigarette. he looks at me and smiles as the wind slowly blows through our hair. "so we gonna smoke?" he laughs out as he leans back off the railing and starts reaching in his pocket. "we are really about to get high while we are 500 feet in the air?" he smirks at my comment. "well do you have somewhere to be?" i look at him in the eyes and smile with a 'fuck you' kinda look. "we've got till about 2pm when the last bell rings and everyone piles out the school. i don't mind staying up here till then, especially with you here. and i'll make sure you are protected. and i'll get you down safe." my face slowly turns into a smile and i blush a little bit, even though i know i can't hide it. "you gotta pipe or papers?" i ask. he giggles. "i got both, which do you prefer?" i step back and lean against the water tower wall. "pipe." i smile. "my kinda girl."

/////////////////

2223 words
i'm sorry, i'm into slowburns but i promise my next one will be a little more spicy.