Hellfire

(Time skip: June 1, 1986)

{WORD COUNT: 2775}

TW: FLASHBACKS OF DEATH, CUSSING

    We were on our way to school in Steve's car while Steve and Robin talked about Vickie, some new girl Robin has a crush on. "You're worried about a basketball pep rally? You really expect me to believe that?" Steve asked. "Yeah? So?" Robin puzzled. "So we both know what this is about. Okay. I'm not buying that bullsh!t. This is about Vickie." Steve argued. "Absolutely not." Robin bickered. "Yes, it is. And you know what else I think?" Steve asked. "Uh, I really don't care." Robin said. "I think you gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her, okay? You just gotta-you just gotta be yourself." Steve told her. "You're literally quoting me to me. You do realize that." Robin told him. "Well, maybe you need to listen to yourself. You ever think about that, smartypants? I mean I listen to you and now look at me. Boom. Back in business." Steve said. "It's not the same thing, okay?" Robin asked. "Well..." Steve tried to convince her otherwise. "You asked out a girl and she said yes. Good for you, now she's your wife. But, I ask out the wrong girl, and bam, I'm a town pariah." Robin explained. "Okay, yeah, I'd buy that except that Vickie is definitely not the wrong girl." Steve reassured her. "We just don't know that, do we?" Robin questioned. "She returned Fast Times paused at 53 minutes, 5 seconds. Do you know who pauses Fast Times at 53 minutes, 5 seconds? People who like boobies, Robin!" Steve explained. "Ew! Gross! Don't say boobies!" Robin complained. "Boobies." Steve repeated. "It's not a big deal, okay? I like boobies. You like boobies. Vickie likes boobies. Definitely." Steve told her. I was sitting in the back laughing my butt off, but nobody heard me because Steve was to busy yelling about boobies. "It's boobies." Steve finished. Kids were crowding through Hawkins High School, so me and Robin got out of the car so Steve could park it. "To the gym everyone! To the gym!" The guidance counselor coached. "Go support your tigers! Go, Tigers!" she yelled. Robin ran ahead of me because she was doing band while the cheerleaders did their thing. 

    I got into the gym with Steve and we got up into the bleachers. The cheerleaders finished their dance and the school announcer announced all the current Tigers basketball team players. "And let's hear it for your Tigers!" he yelled and out running came the basketball team. I waited for Lucas and the moment I did was when I started cheering with everyone else. "Good morning, Hawkins High!" Jason Carver said over the microphone. "First off...hey. First off, I'd like to thank each and every one of you. Without your support, we wouldn't be here. Give yourselves a big hand." he said beginning his stupid basketball captain speech. I rolled my eyes at his existence. Jason, even though he's a year behind me, was always picking on me. All because I hung out with Mike, Dustin, and Lucas and played DnD. He was an absolute moron if I ever saw one. "And of course, of course, I have to give a special shout-out to the best and the prettiest fans of all time, the Tiger Cheer Squad." he cheered and everyone clapped. "Chrissy...Chrissy, I love you, babe." he professed. I silently fake gagged making Steve laugh a little. "You know...I think I can speak for all of us when I say it's been a tough year for Hawkins. So much loss. And sometimes I wonder 'How much loss can one community take?' In dark days like this, we need something to believe in. So, last night, when we were down by ten points at half to Christian Academy, I looked at my team, and I said, 'Think of Jack. Think of Melissa. Think of Heather. Think of Billy.'." he continued talking but I stopped listening. All I could think about was the fact that Jason didn't deserve to mourn Billy. He didn't even know Billy. Nobody should mourn someone they don't know. Jason was a jerk to Billy anyways. He was a jerk to us all. And now he stands in front of us all, holding a microphone, telling us to think of Billy. The image of that night started to replay in my mind.

~

    I threw another firework at the Mind Flayer to distract it. I looked down to see Max and Mike running out from Scoops Ahoy. The Mind Flayer took notice of Billy standing in front of Eleven and latched itself onto his hands when it tried to attack El, and he protected her. Then it stuck its tentacles into him all over his body. His arms, his stomach, his back, his legs. Then it took the one it used as a tongue and formed it into a dagger and forced it through his chest. "Billy!" Max screamed. I watched as it collapsed onto the mall floor and then I ran down to comfort Max. She tried to wake him up, but it was too late. He was already dead. I pulled her onto me and she collapsed onto my lap.