Lord John and Lady Margaret Howard, Duke and Duchess of Norfolk

Duke and Duchess of Norfolk

Lord John Howard becomes Duke of Norfolk in 1483 beside him is Lady Margaret, his second wife, as when he married Lady Catharine De Moleyns he wasn't yet Duke of Norfolk, but when he became Duke, his son, Lord Thomas received the Earl of Surrey.

When his son became Duke of Norfolk, his first wife, Lady Elizabeth was only Countess of Surrey, but when she died he remarried her cousin, Lady Agnes in 1479 and when he becomes Duke of Norfolk on February 1, 1514 he is created Duke of Norfolk and his second wife, Lady Agnes become Duchess of Norfolk with her cousin, but his son, Lord Thomas becomes Earl of Surrey.

It was a great honor for Lord John Howard to become Duke of Norfolk in the third creation as the first creation died off when his grandfather lack male heirs, the second was invalid as it was given to his nephew, Prince Richard, Duke of York when he married Lady Anne de Mowbray, Duchess of Norfolk and she died when she was ten years old.

Lord John Howard was the grandson of Lord Thomas de Mowbray through his second daughter, Lady Margaret as his eldest daughter, Lady Elizabeth de Mowbray only had three daughters by her husband, Lord Michael de la Pole, 3rd Earl of Suffolk and they had only three daughters,Catherine de la Pole (born 6 May 1410), nun at Bruisyard

Elizabeth de la Pole (22 July 1411 – before 1422)

Isabel de la Pole (4 June 1415 – before 1422) and the second sister, Lady Margaret married Sir Robert Howard and she was the mother of Lord John Howard, and her youngest sister, Lady Isabel married three times and with her third husband, James Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley had Elizabeth de Berkeley (b. 1425 - d. 1482)

Sir William de Berkeley, Earl of Nottingham (c. 1427 - 1492); William became the 2nd Baron Berkeley sometime after his father's death in 1463.

James de Berkeley, Esquire (b. 1429)

Alice de Berkeley (b. 1432)

Sir Maurice de Berkeley VI, Lord Berkeley (c. 1435 - 1 September 1506), who was married to Isabel Meade, daughter of merchant Phillip Meade and his wife Isabel, in 1465 and had issue.

Thomas de Berkeley, Esquire (b. 1435 - d. 1484), who married Margaret Guy, and had issue.

Isabel de Berkeley (b. 1438 - d. 1482) but Lady Margaret was older than Lady Isabel, and he was loyal to King Edward IV and King Richard III and he was the oldest grandson of Lord Thomas de Mowbray and in 1483, King Richard conferred the Dukedom of Norfolk on Lord John Howard.

Lord John Howard became Duke of Norfolk at the age of 58 and he wouldn't be Duke but for two year before he would die in single hand combat with Sir John Savage on the Battle of Bosworth field, and then his family would lose Norfolk until King Henry VIII when his son, Lord Thomas would be created Duke of Norfolk on February 1, 1516.

Lord John Howard with his wife, Lady Margaret stand proudly in the Court of Hampton Palace with King Richard III and Queen Anne and by their side is Lady Elizabeth, Lady Cecily, Lady Mary, Lady Catherine and Lady Bridget, his nieces, and in the background Lady Margaret Beaufort and her her third husband, Lord Thomas Stanley, who would be like Judas Iscariot in the Bible, who betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.

Lord Thomas Stanley's nephew,Sir John Savage would be responsible for killing Lord John Howard and Lord Walter Devereux,and Lord Thomas Stanley was married to Lady Margaret Beaufort as her third husband would be the one who places the crown of St. Edward on top of Henry Tudor head.

Henry Tudor didn't think so as he only left one son behind, and through him Lord John Howard's only son, Lord Thomas would become Duke of Norfolk in 1516 for being loyal to King Henry VIII.