Control

CHAPTER 4

Control

"It's a coyote den." Stiles mumbles, the flashlight illuminating the toys scattered around the dark corner Scott apparently found while running through the woods.

"Werecoyote,"

"This jacket..." Lexi reaches for it, giving it a second look before turning to face the two boys standing a couple of feet behind her. "It's Malia's."

"Yeah, it's the same one she was wearing in the photo." Stiles points out.

Scott nods as his hand grabs a plushy, his voice speaking up in warning then. "We shouldn't be here."

"What do you mean?"

"We just invaded her home." Alexia sighs as she realizes the meaning behind her boyfriend's words. "She's not going to come back now..."

"Our scent's going to be everywhere." Scott says.

"If she's not going to come back here, where's she going to go?" Stiles wonders.

"I don't know,"

"Can you track her now?" He questions. "You think you got her scent?"

"Maybe." The werewolf replies, but the hesitation in his voice is clear as he continues. "But I'm better at this when I'm a full wolf. And I can't do that now,"

"Well, you can try." Stiles shrugs, his bestfriend's biggest fear escaping his thoughts for a minute.

"I can't." Scott shakes his head, his eyes finding Lexi's honey ones for a short second, before he looks back down, his voice sounding as if he would betray her just by trying. "I might hurt Lexi if I can't control it..."

"Scott, if that's what it takes to find Malia and –."

"No." His tone firm, not allowing the brown-haired girl to argue with him on this. Okay, he might not be betraying her, but he sure would be betraying himself and all the late night promises he made to himself while he was looking for her back in the day. "Besides... What if I do it and I'm not able to turn back?"

"Yeah..." Stiles swallows each and every word his friend tells them, and swallows at the thought. "The door's still open."

"If I can't get to Derek, we're gonna have to find someone else to help." Scott tells them, and they all sigh loudly while trying to find a solution. It's the werewolf who breaks the silence. "This is basically a crime scene, right? I think it might be a little out of my boss's league."

"And more in my Dad's."

"Okay..." Alexia nods slowly but repeatedly as if trying to adjust to the idea. There isn't a better one, she soon concludes. "Let's do that... Let's call your Dad."

. . .

"You sure it was her?"

Scott nods with certainty. "I look her right in the eyes. And they glowed just like mine."

"Makes sense, Dad." Stiles says.

"But it wasn't a girl." He sighs, his head struggling to make sense of what the three teenagers are telling him right now. "It was a four-legged coyote, right?"

"Well, okay. But yeah, see, that's the point that we don't exactly have figured out yet."

"But if it was a full moon and she did change while her Mom was driving, then anything could have happened." Lexi explains under the Sheriff's attentive gaze. "Not very good things..."